In a horribly sad story, a cat was electrocuted to death, and, in the process, knocked out the power for 7,500 people in New Orleans.
According to Entergy:
A cat got into a substation that feeds parts of Uptown, Central City, Mid-City and the CBD, and caused a flash when it came into contact with our equipment.
It is unusual for a cat to get into a substation; generally, squirrels and other small animals find their way in. Entergy installs protective devices to help keep animals out of our equipment not only to avoid power outages, but also to keep animals out of harm's way.
Sometimes, however, they are able to make their way around the protective devices, and when this happens, the animals unfortunately do not survive contact with high-voltage equipment.
Cat Knocks Out Power For 7,500 In New Orleans https://t.co/ha9cfCksK7— The Daily Wire (@The Daily Wire)1537283776.0
Who let the cat in? https://t.co/25TE3VUAW2— USA TODAY (@USA TODAY)1537209907.0
Cat in New Orleans blamed for cutting power to thousands of people https://t.co/HN1xVooV7n https://t.co/ThbQFVSHpi— FOX Business (@FOX Business)1537280400.0
UPDATE: Entergy New Orleans says a cat got into a substation, knocking out power to across much of New Orleans Mond… https://t.co/4o9K6uyrMT— WWL-TV (@WWL-TV)1537195717.0
RIP, cat that broke into New Orleans substation and blew out power to thousands https://t.co/jdv1IaSwJD https://t.co/HcYqgZMNCx— Gizmodo (@Gizmodo)1537273134.0
Some folks felt bad.
@realDailyWire Oh no,the poor cat :(— OneManArmyofIdeas (@OneManArmyofIdeas)1537283899.0
@WWLTV Is the cat ok????— ✭ DC ✭ BRANDON ✭ (@✭ DC ✭ BRANDON ✭)1537199623.0
@USATODAY Is it wrong that I'm more concerned/sad about the cat losing it's life than the humans losing power???😿— Joanna Harrington (@Joanna Harrington)1537210213.0
But mostly it was jokes, because you know, dead animals are hysterical.
@realDailyWire Sounds like something a cat would do ; )— Mr.Weatherbee (@Mr.Weatherbee)1537284078.0
@USATODAY https://t.co/RGuuS141iY— Teaching Agent Jeff (@Teaching Agent Jeff)1537210076.0
@USATODAY Curiosity killed the cat— Adam Bregman (@Adam Bregman)1537216322.0
@USATODAY uncle Eddie would be proud 😹 https://t.co/iT17vjzFKO— Tweeter (@Tweeter)1537215916.0
@USATODAY Cats! A Dog would never do that!— 𝔇𝔢𝔢𝔭 𝔖𝔱𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰𝔦𝔱𝔶 (@𝔇𝔢𝔢𝔭 𝔖𝔱𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔘𝔫𝔦𝔳𝔢𝔯𝔰𝔦𝔱𝔶)1537210022.0
At least there was this.
@WWLTV It takes .01 amps to kill a human. The cat probably experienced 400 amps. Trust me. It’s dead. Good news, it… https://t.co/RDkwIGrB6u— Rico X ✊🏾 (@Rico X ✊🏾)1537218165.0
Rest in peace little kitty.