Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Maine Republicans Censured After Claiming God's Anger Over Abortion Caused Lewiston Shooting

Screenshots of Michael Lemelin and Shelley Rudnicki
@MaineHDCC/X; @ZachBlanchard/X

A bipartisan supermajority of Maine's legislature censured State Reps. Michael Lemelin and Shelley Rudnicki for claiming the Lewiston shooting last year was due to God's anger over LD1619, an abortion shield law.

A bipartisan supermajority of Maine's legislature censured Republican State Representatives Michael Lemelin and Shelley Rudnicki for claiming last October's mass shooting in the town of Lewiston was due to God's anger over LD1619, a bill that expands access to abortion and shields patients from punishment.

The controversy erupted after Lemelin spoke on Wednesday about a proposed "shield bill" aimed at safeguarding out-of-state patients seeking abortion or gender-affirming care in Maine.


During his remarks, Lemelin characterized abortion as "murder" and suggested a connection between the passage of an abortion access bill and the tragic mass shooting that claimed 18 lives at a bowling alley and restaurant on October 25.

He said:

"God draws a line in the sand, and when we crossed that line, there's consequences."
"When [LD1619] passed and went into law on October 25, you told God life doesn't matter. Keep in mind that the law went into effect on October 25. God heard you and the horrible events of October 25 happened."

Rudnicki subsequently expressed agreement with Lemelin's statements.

But Lemelin was called out by his Democratic colleague Marc Malon, who said that "implying that the passage of legislation caused a horrible and horrific evil tragedy is impugning the character of every member of this chamber."

You can hear what Lemelin said in the video below.

The remarks prompted widespread outrage and condemnation, leading to the formal censure of both lawmakers by the House on Thursday.

The House subsequently voted on a censure motion, with the lawmakers barred from speaking on the chamber floor or voting until they issued public apologies.

Censure actions are rare in the Maine House, according to reports, requiring a two-thirds vote of the chamber. With Democrats holding an 80-68 majority, the motion passed, underscoring the bipartisan condemnation of the lawmakers' remarks.

Lemelin apologized shortly afterward, saying he accepts "full responsibility for my remarks on the House floor."

Rudnicki later issued an apology "to my colleagues in the House and the people connected to the horrible events of October 25 and to the state of Maine."

Both lawmakers have faced harsh criticism since the news went viral.


The Lewiston shooting is the deadliest mass shooting in Maine's history, resulting in 18 fatalities and 13 injuries.

The shooting spanned two different locations: a bar and a bowling alley, with numerous individuals sustaining injuries in the incident, according to law enforcement sources. The shooter was later found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after a two-day manhunt.

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have condemned Lemelin for his remarks in particular, with Republican Rachel Henderson describing them as "reprehensible."

Henderson added that she is "proud of the positions that I take, but tonight I am not proud to be a Republican," adding:

“Nowhere in the Bible do I see where the word of God is to be used as a weapon against people, or where we are told to speak on behalf of God to express his wrath to the people. The statements made today, I will not speak to the character or the motives, but those statements were reprehensible and ones that I do not support, and I do not get behind.”

State Assistant House Majority Leader Kristen Cloutier, a Democrat, spoke out against Lemelin and Rudnicki, saying that connecting the shooting to the abortion shield law is both "asinine" and "reprehensible."

Cloutier said she is "dismayed by this stunning lack of respect, deeply troubling absence of empathy and infuriating disregard for the victims, their families and everyone in our community whose hearts remain shattered by this horrific act of senseless violence."

More from News

Gavin Newsom; Screenshot of Donald Trump
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images; @Acyn/X

Gavin Newsom Just Trolled Trump Hard For Explaining To Reporters What 'By Sea' Means In Bizarre Video

California Governor Gavin Newsom mocked President Donald Trump after Trump spoke to reporters recently about drugs coming into the U.S. "by sea" before weirdly explaining in detail what he meant by that.

Several days ago, Trump spoke at a Mother's Day event at the White House and claimed "drug traffic coming into our country is way down, and by sea," adding:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Kaitlan Collins and Jim Jordan
CNN

Kaitlan Collins Calls Out Jim Jordan For Telling Americans Concerned About High Gas Prices 'That's Life'—Then He Denies Saying It

CNN anchor Kaitlan Collins called out Ohio Republican Representative Jim Jordan for telling Americans concerned about high gas prices "That's life," only for him to deny that he'd said it live on air just seconds prior.

Republicans have faced pressure from constituents nationwide to address the rising cost of living, but Americans are feeling pain at the pump now that the Iran war, which the Trump administration kicked off in late February, has prompted a spike in gas prices.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of AI-generated Trump Mobile logo from video
@TrumpMobile/X

New Trump Mobile Promo Video Called Out For Being AI Slop In Hilariously Blunt Fact-Check

Following backlash from MAGA fans who complained they'd not received their Trump Mobile phones or their $100 deposits back, the company announced that it is indeed shipping out the phones soon by releasing a new AI video of what they look like, only to be criticized for revamping a phone that is already on the market.

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of JD Vance; Donald Trump
@Acyn/X; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

JD Vance Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud About What Trump Really 'Takes Seriously' As President—And Yep, That Tracks

In his announcement this week that the Trump administration will be withholding $1.3 billion in Medicaid payments from California due to alleged fraud, Vice President JD Vance had people raising their eyebrows after claiming that President Donald Trump "takes fraud seriously."

As part of his role overseeing anti-fraud efforts, Vance said the administration is targeting California because state officials are not taking Medicaid fraud seriously enough. Vance claimed both California and American taxpayers were being “defrauded” and alleged that some patients had been given unnecessary medications after fraudsters encouraged “false prescriptions” and improper treatment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @itsgoobz's TikTok video
@itsgoobz/TikTok

Woman Goes Viral After Revealing How She Caught Her Husband Cheating Thanks To His iCloud Account

Cheating is an absolute dealbreaker in most relationships—but when you add three children to the mix, it escalates to a level of betrayal that there's really no coming back from.

It's even worse when the cheater does little to apologize for or even acknowledge what they have done.

Keep ReadingShow less