Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Canadian Grocers Accused of Bread Price-Fixing Scheme

Canadian Grocers Accused of Bread Price-Fixing Scheme
(Carlos Osorio/Toronto Star via Getty Images)

Canada's two big bread producers and five grocers were revealed to have been involved in a 16-year bread price-fixing scheme that inflated prices by $1.50.


According to the Competition Bureau, wholesalers Canada Bread Company Ltd. and George Weston Ltd., as well as grocers Loblaw Companies Ltd., Walmart Canada Corp., Sobeys Inc., Metro Inc. and Giant Tiger Stores Ltd. have indictable offenses under the Competition Act, a Canadian federal law that prevents anti-competitive practices in retail.

Simon Bessette, a senior officer from the federal competition, made accusations of collusion in a previously sealed December 18 affidavit alleging that Canada Bread and George Weston's senior officers arranged to raise consumer bread prices in tandem at least 15 times and at 10 cents per loaf.



The previously sealed court affidavit said:

Further, the retailers demanded that the suppliers actively manage retail competition by co-ordinating retail prices for their respective fresh commercial bread products and ensuring pricing alignment amongst the retailers.

The document alleged that the five retail clients "accepted the price increase on condition that their retail competitors would also accept the price increase, maintaining the fixed price across the retailers."




The Financial Post reported on how the watchdog was made aware of the covert practice of the price surge from Loblaw informants:

In December, Loblaw and George Weston admitted they sparked the investigation when they approached the watchdog after becoming aware of an allegedly industry-wide arrangement to co-ordinate retail and wholesale prices of some packaged bread products from late 2001 to March 2015.




Kevin Groh, the spokesperson for Loblaw Companies Ltd. said the documents were "unequivocal," and added, "We have admitted our role, and you cannot price fix alone." The company received immunity from prosecution for coming clean of their involvement to the federal department.


Consumers are cynical about customer loyalty.


Bessette said that the reasoning behind the suppliers scheme was to levy the competition.

The alleged conspiracy was a deliberate attempt by management of Canada Bread and Weston Bakeries, along with the retailers, to suppress competition at both the wholesale and retail level and thereby increase the wholesale and retail prices of fresh commercial bread in Canada.

Canada Bread issued a statement admitting they were made aware of the claims made back in December. They were informed not to discuss matters until the news was made public. "The allegations do not reflect the Canada Bread we know," they said on Wednesday.

However, the prices haven't changed.



According to Financial Post, the document stated that the suppliers "demanded" the retailers to participate. Walmart, Giant Tiger, Loblaw's No Frills, Sobeys' FreshCo and Metro's Food Basics were apprehensive.

None of them wanted to be the first to implement the price increase …There was always a negotiation process going back and forth between the four retailers where the supplier was trying to coordinate it, because somebody had to be the first to move.

Does it end with bread?



The Competition Bureau investigation continues to this day. Spokeswoman Véronique Aupry said, "There is no conclusion of wrongdoing at this time and no charges have been laid."

Is the penalty worth the slice?



Meanwhile, in an effort to do damage control, Loblaw is issuing customers a $25 gift card compensation for customers who believe they purchased bread from 2001 to 2016, the period when the price hike was actively in place.

The gesture could cost the company $150 million in the fourth quarter. But no matter how you slice it, having a clear conscience could be a small price to pay.

Over in America...




H/T - Financial Post, Twitter

More from Trending

Screenshot of AI-generated Trump Mobile logo from video
@TrumpMobile/X

New Trump Mobile Promo Video Called Out For Being AI Slop In Hilariously Blunt Fact-Check

Following backlash from MAGA fans who complained they'd not received their Trump Mobile phones or their $100 deposits back, the company announced that it is indeed shipping out the phones soon by releasing a new AI video of what they look like, only to be criticized for revamping a phone that is already on the market.

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of JD Vance; Donald Trump
@Acyn/X; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

JD Vance Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud About What Trump Really 'Takes Seriously' As President—And Yep, That Tracks

In his announcement this week that the Trump administration will be withholding $1.3 billion in Medicaid payments from California due to alleged fraud, Vice President JD Vance had people raising their eyebrows after claiming that President Donald Trump "takes fraud seriously."

As part of his role overseeing anti-fraud efforts, Vance said the administration is targeting California because state officials are not taking Medicaid fraud seriously enough. Vance claimed both California and American taxpayers were being “defrauded” and alleged that some patients had been given unnecessary medications after fraudsters encouraged “false prescriptions” and improper treatment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @itsgoobz's TikTok video
@itsgoobz/TikTok

Woman Goes Viral After Revealing How She Caught Her Husband Cheating Thanks To His iCloud Account

Cheating is an absolute dealbreaker in most relationships—but when you add three children to the mix, it escalates to a level of betrayal that there's really no coming back from.

It's even worse when the cheater does little to apologize for or even acknowledge what they have done.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @maggieeatsss's TikTok video
@maggieeatsss/TikTok

Mom Goes Viral After Confronting Her Son About His Bullying Behavior At School—And Parents Are Applauding

Parents might not want to think about it or talk about it, but at some point, their children are going to make some mistakes, and the true test of their parenting is how they respond in those moments.

So when TikToker @maggieeatsss found out that her son had been bullying a kid at school, she knew there was no time to waste.

Keep ReadingShow less
North Carolina Mom Slams MAGA Congresswoman For Attacking Her 10-Year-Old Son And His Teacher In 'Horrific' Letter
FOX8 WGHP/YouTube; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

North Carolina Mom Slams MAGA Congresswoman For Attacking Her 10-Year-Old Son And His Teacher In 'Horrific' Letter

Greensboro, North Carolina, mother Emily Mango is upset with MAGA Republican Representative Virginia Foxx over a letter the North Carolina legislator sent to her 10-year-old son in response to a school assignment.

Mango shared that her son Christian, who is in the 4th grade, was tasked with a writing exercise. Students were to compose a persuasive essay on a topic of their choosing and send it to a changemaker.

Keep ReadingShow less