Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Jamie Raskin Slams McCarthy For Giving Tucker Carlson 40k Hours Of Jan. 6 Riot Footage

Jamie Raskin; Kevin McCarthy; Tucker Carlson
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images; Janos Kummer/Getty Images

The Democratic Rep. called the House Speaker's move an 'astounding ethical collapse.'

Maryland Democratic Representative Jamie Raskin called out Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy for giving Fox News host Tucker Carlson access to 41,000 hours of surveillance footage taken on January 6, 2021.

Raskin called McCarthy’s release of the Capitol riot footage to Carlson “an astounding ethical collapse" and suggested making the footage available would pose a major security threat.


He added:

"What security precautions were taken to keep this from becoming a roadmap for 2024 insurrection?"
"Why isn’t it available to all media & public?"
"Smell the MAGA propaganda coming."

McCarthy sought the January 6 footage as far back as November 2022 when he demanded the House Select Committee tasked with investigating the insurrection preserve all gathered evidence, testimony and transcripts—which was already mandated under House rules.

McCarthy wrote in a letter to Mississippi Democratic Representative Bennie Thompson—who chaired the House Select Committee—that House Republicans would investigate on their own “why the Capitol complex was not secure," arguing the committee had spent too much time focusing on Trump's actions that day.

According to Axios, the first publication to report McCarthy shared the footage with Carlson, excerpts of the footage will air on Fox News in the coming weeks.

Carlson told the publication “there was never any legitimate reason for this footage to remain secret" and said it's "impossible for [him] to understand why any honest person would be bothered by that.”

Many have criticized McCarthy since news the footage had been shared with Fox went public.




Carlson has been perhaps Fox News' biggest mouthpiece for lies about election integrity.

However, according to a recent filing in Dominion Voting Systems' lawsuit against Fox News, the network's hosts and producers privately shared misgivings and criticisms about Trump's falsehoods about election fraud even as the network continued to promote his claims.

Carlson himself cast doubt on Trump's claims in text messages to his producer, Alex Pfeiffer, referring to Trump as a "demonic force" and a "destroyer" in the aftermath of the Capitol riot.

In fact, Pfeiffer agreed with Carlson, responding that “many on ‘our side’ are being reckless demagogues right now" as Trump railed against Fox News for calling the state of Arizona for Democrat Joe Biden on Electon Night.

Carlson worried the network's decision would have an adverse impact, saying the team had "worked really hard to build what [they] have" and that it infuriated him to see "those f**kers... destroying our credibility."

More from People/donald-trump

dog and cat snuggling together
Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash

Times Pet Owners 'Severely Underestimated' Their Pets' Intelligence

I've lived with cats—because no one owns a feline—most of my life. Some have been very clever creatures while others were real dingbats.

Family members have owned dogs whose talents also ran the gamut.

Keep ReadingShow less
Scott Bessent
Meet the Press/NBC News

Scott Bessent Blasted Over His Bonkers Suggestion For How To Bring Your Own Inflation Rate Down

Continuing to follow the example of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent appeared on Meet the Press Sunday to blame Democratic President Joe Biden for the financial downturn caused by Trump's tariff fiasco, then lied repeatedly about the state of the economy.

Meet the Press host Kristen Welker played a clip of MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance telling a conservative audience at a Breitbart News event that Americans owe the Trump administration "a little bit of patience"—apparently while they figure out what tariffs are and how they work since they're rolling back more of them to lower consumer prices despite claiming Trump's tariffs don't affect consumer prices.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lindsay Lohan attends the men's final during day fifteen of the 2025 US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Elsa/Getty Images

Lindsay Lohan Is Now Sporting A New Accent—And Fans Aren't Sure What To Make Of It

In a twist freakier than a sequel to Freaky Friday, Lindsay Lohan has debuted yet another new accent—this time at the Fashion Trust Arabia Awards in Doha, Qatar.

Draped in a maroon, jewel-trimmed gown by The New Arrivals Ilkyaz Ozel and accompanied by her husband, Bader Shammas, and their 2-year-old son, Luai, the actress looked serene, elegant, and completely unbothered by the collective whiplash she was about to inflict on the internet.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jameela Jamil
Gilbert Flores/Variety/Getty Images

Jameela Jamil Speaks Out Against The Rise Of The 'Aesthetic Of Emaciation' Among Women In Hollywood

Content Warning: eating disorders, thinness as an aesthetic, emaciation in Hollywood

There's no denying that we've been gifted with some incredible music, television shows, and films this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour 2"
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images; New Line Cinema

Trump Is Now Using His Presidential Sway To Pressure Studio Into Making 'Rush Hour 4'—And, Huh?

President Trump has reportedly pressured Paramount head Larry Ellison to make another sequel to Rush Hour, his favorite buddy-cop movie, as the company looks to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery.

The first Rush Hour film, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, was released in 1998, received positive reviews, and made $245 million worldwide. Chan and Tucker returned for two sequels released in 2001 and 2007 respectively.

Keep ReadingShow less