Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

The Trump Administration Is Being Sued For Damages Related to Their Family Separation Immigration Policy

The Trump Administration Is Being Sued For Damages Related to Their Family Separation Immigration Policy
WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 17: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the media before departing on Marine One to travel to New York, at the White House on August 17, 2018 in Washington, DC. Trump will attend a fundraiser event in West Hampton Beach, New York. (Photo by Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

Actions have consequences.

A new class-action lawsuit argues that the U.S. government should cover mental health treatment costs for immigrant children who were separated from their parents. The suit, filed by a group of lawyers in Federal court, also demands unspecified damages for the children who were separated under Trump’s now-defunct zero-tolerance border policy.

The suit was filed in the U.S. District Court in Massachusetts. This is just the latest move to unravel the damage caused by Trump’s reactionary policy.  Previously, a California Federal judge ordered the end of forced separations between immigrant children and their parents. That judge also ordered the reunification of families who were already separated.


Many professionals agree that the children are vulnerable to long-term mental health consequences due to the trauma from Trump’s policy. The suit states that the resulting trauma “was life altering and it will continue to affect their mental and emotional well-being for years to come."

According to an official count presented in court filings in late August, approximately 500 children remain separated from their families. Officials, in conjunction with cooperation from the ACLU, have been working to reunite the children with the deported parents.

The lawsuit asserts that simply reuniting children with their families does not do enough to address the underlying trauma that was initially caused by the policy.

"The damage is unbelievable, and the focus has been on reunification because, of course, the judge has ordered that. But now it's about restoration. And that is something the government is not taking responsibility for, but so desperately needs to be done, and we're here to make sure that happens," said attorney Jesse Bless.

When the policy was initially announced, a number of prominent health experts and medical professionals spoke out against the zero-tolerance policy.

According to Dr. Colleen Kraft, the head of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the policy was "nothing less than government-sanctioned child abuse. It's creating a whole generation of kids who are traumatized.”

Although the focus is now on reunification, a great deal of long-term damage has already been done. “The reunification process has been chaotic and has unequivocally come at a cost,” said Beth Krause, a supervising lawyer at the Legal Aid Society’s Immigrant Youth Project.

Current members of the Trump administration claim that the chaotic nature of the reunification process actually benefits the children. Homeland Security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, and HHS secretary Alex Azar claim that they are housing the children for their own well-being. “Throughout the reunification process our goal has been the well-being of the children and returning them to a safe environment,” Nielsen, Sessions, and Azar said in a statement to Reuters.

The Department of Health and Human Services declined to comment on the current lawsuit or the alleged mental health effects. Spokeswoman Evelyn Stauffer stated that the agency does not comment on active or pending lawsuits.

Regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit, the consensus among the medical community, as well as many advocacy groups, is that the trauma created by Trump’s policy will have long-term effects for the children who were forcibly removed from their families.

More from People/donald-trump

Craig David
Sam Tabone/Getty Images; @craigdavid/TikTok

British Singer's Viral Video Of His Attempt At Saving Flying Fish Has Plot Twist That Leaves Fans Hilariously Stunned

Something fishy's going on with British R&B singer Craig David.

You remember him, he had those massive hits "Fill Me In" and "7 Days" back in 2000 (and a whole slew of other ones in the UK).

Keep ReadingShow less
Mark Kelly; Nicki Minaj
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Olivier Touron/AFP via Getty Images

Former Astronaut Mark Kelly Has Blunt Advice For Nicki Minaj After She Claims Moon Landing Was Faked

Nick Minaj has been trying to ingratiate herself with MAGA Republican President Donald Trump and his MAGA minions.

Minaj entered the United States with her family as an undocumented immigrant from Trinidad and Tobago at the age of five. Despite remaining in the U.S. without consequences due to Democratic initiatives like Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Minaj has attacked Democrats in person and online ever since her MAGA conversion.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Brody King and MJF
AEW

Pro Wrestling Star Visibly Stunned After 'F**k ICE' Chant Breaks Out During Main Event

Pro-wrestling star MJF looked visibly surprised after the typically pro-MAGA crowd broke out into an anti-ICE chant that briefly paused the match.

The moment unfolded during an AEW World Championship Eliminator match between reigning champion MJF—real name Maxwell Jacob Friedman—and challenger Brody King.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
NBC

Trump Was Asked If He'll Accept The Results Of The Midterms If Republicans Lose—And His Response Was Peak Trump

President Donald Trump was criticized after he claimed he would respect the midterm election results in the event Republicans lose their congressional majorities so long as "the elections are honest."

Trump—who has pushed election fraud conspiracies for years—did the same thing during an interview with NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Llamas, who asked Trump to clarify his recent remarks about having Republicans "take over the voting" in at least 15 states.

Keep ReadingShow less
Close-up of an unrecognizable hand texting on a phone.
Photo by DuoNguyen on Unsplash

People Reveal The Worst Thing They've Ever Texted The Wrong Person

Mistexting can be perilous.

I have had literal panic attacks about it.

Keep ReadingShow less