Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

A Judge Just Ordered the White House to Reinstate Jim Acosta's Press Pass, and Sarah Sanders's Response Has People Crying Foul

Really?

After federal judge Timothy J. Kelly ruled that the Trump administration should reinstate CNN reporter Jim Acosta's press pass, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders issued a statement calling for "decorum" during White House press briefings.

"Today, the court made clear that there is no absolute First Amendment right to access the White House," Sanders said. "In response to the court, we will temporarily reinstate the reporter's hard pass. We will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future."


"There must be decorum at the White House," she concluded.

Sanders's statement left many crying foul. Many criticized both her interpretation of events and her willingness, in her capacity as press secretary, to overlook or excuse President Donald Trump's consistent lack of decorum amid his consistent attacks on the press.

CNN filed its lawsuit on Tuesday, saying that the White House has violated both the network’s and Acosta’s “First Amendment rights of freedom of the press and Fifth Amendment rights to due process.”

The suit lists Donald J. Trump, White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications William Shine, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the United States Secret Service, Secret Service Director Randolph Alles, and Secret Service Agent John Doe as defendants.

CNN argues that President Donald Trump is “depriving” CNN of its chief White House correspondent:

“Defendants have deprived Plaintiffs of their right to access the White House grounds by revoking Acosta’s White House credentials. Without those credentials, Acosta cannot access the White House and cannot effectively serve as a White House correspondent, thus depriving Plaintiff CNN of its chief White House correspondent.”

The network also argues that Acosta’s dismissal constitutes a direct violation of the Fifth Amendment’s right to due process:

“Defendants’ decision to revoke Acosta’s press credentials violates the Fifth Amendment right to due process.

“Neither the White House nor the Secret Service has provided Acosta any formal

notice of the reasons for, opportunity to be heard regarding, or opportunity to challenge, the

decision to revoke his hard pass.”

CNN requests that Acosta be reinstated and notes that the revocation of Acosta’s access was “the culmination of years of hostility by President Trump against CNN and Acosta” based on its reporting and “an unabashed attempt to censor the press and exclude reporters from the White House who challenge and dispute the President’s point of view.”

Acosta discovered his press access had been suspended when he walked up to the northwest gate of the White House for a live shot last Wednesday. A Secret Service agent told him: “I was just told to do it.”

Concurrently, Sanders claimed that Acosta had behaved inappropriately at a presidential news conference earlier that day. Sanders accused him of “placing his hands” on an intern who tried to take away his microphone. In reality, Acosta said “Pardon me, ma’am” and asked another question before giving up his microphone.

Sanders later shared a doctored video promoted by right-wing conspiracy website Infowars purporting to show Acosta placing his hands on the intern. That video was swiftly debunked.

The Justice Department, in a 28-page filing, defended its decision to revoke Acosta’s press access.

No journalist has a First Amendment right to enter the White House,” Justice Department lawyers said.

“The president is generally free to open the White House doors to political allies, in the hopes of furthering a particular agenda, and he is equally free to invite in only political foes, in the hopes of convincing them of his position,” the lawyers continued. “The First Amendment simply does not regulate these decisions.”

More from News

Kid Rock
Todd Kirkland/Getty Images

Kid Rock Dragged After Donning A Truly Over-The-Top Outfit For His White House Visit

Singer Kid Rock was slammed for wearing a loud patriotic costume inside the Oval Office as Republican President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday against ticket scalping.

The rocker's outfit consisted of a red, white, and blue jacket emblazoned with two eagles facing each other above the American flag with the number 250, a nod to America's upcoming 250th anniversary, and white stars on his sleeves.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Bill Cassidy
CNBC

MAGA Senator Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud With Epic Freudian Slip About Medicare

Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy was widely mocked following his inconvenient slip of the tongue during a CNBC interview as he mused about finding ways to "cut" Medicare before quickly correcting himself.

The exchange occurred after host Rebecca Quick pressed Louisiana Republican and former physician Bill Cassidy on how his party intended to fund the “trillion-dollar tax cuts” sought by President Donald Trump.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Tim Sheehy
CNN

GOP Senator Gets Blunt Reality Check After Comparing Trump Tariff 'Pain' To Home Renovation

Montana Republican Senator Tim Sheehy was criticized after he tried to compare the "short-term pain" of President Donald Trump's tariffs to home renovation, a claim so ridiculous that CNN's Kaitlan Collins quickly pushed back on the analogy.

Trump has repeatedly referred to April 2 as “Liberation Day,” pledging to impose tariffs—taxes on imports—to reduce U.S. reliance on foreign goods. He has framed these tariffs as “reciprocal,” aiming to match the duties other nations place on American exports.

Keep ReadingShow less
Susan Crawford; Elon Musk
Scott Olson/Getty Images (left and right)

Liberal Wisconsin Judge Calls Out Elon Musk In Victory Speech—And It's Everything

Liberal judge Susan Crawford called out billionaire Elon Musk in her victory speech after winning a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, basking in successfully beating her Republican opponent Brad Schimel and ensuring that the nonpartisan court’s narrow 4-3 liberal majority remains intact despite Musk's efforts to sway the race.

Musk fueled the high-stakes race, having poured more than $20 million into supporting Schimel, according to state campaign records. That includes $3 million to the state Republican Party—$2 million of which was donated just last week. Due to state election laws, large contributions must be funneled through political parties before reaching candidates.

Keep ReadingShow less

People Describe The Worst 'Bonus' They've Ever Gotten At Work

Most of us have worked at one problematic workplace, with reasons ranging from toxic coworkers to terrible bosses to unlivable pay. Sometimes, it feels like a joke that the employees are even being paid at all!

But the biggest joke of all might be the end-of-year bonus, or lack thereof. They're at times so laughable, they take the cake for horrible work conditions, or are quite literally, a slice of cake.

Keep ReadingShow less