Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Michael Cohen Sent The Onion a Cease and Desist Letter on Behalf of Donald Trump in 2013 and The Onion Just Responded

Michael Cohen Sent The Onion a Cease and Desist Letter on Behalf of Donald Trump in 2013 and The Onion Just Responded
NEW YORK, NY - MAY 11: Michael Cohen, former personal attorney for U.S. President Donald Trump, exits the Loews Regency Hotel, May 11, 2018 in New York City. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said this week that it was a mistake to hire Cohen as a consultant it was revealed they paid him $600,000 last year. (Photo by Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

In 2013, Michael Cohen, the embattled former attorney and fixer for President Donald Trump, sent an email to The Onion asking the satirical publication to "cease and desist" writing about Trump after it printed a column titled, “When You’re Feeling Low, Just Remember I’ll Be Dead In About 15 Or 20 Years.”


Cohen's letter said that The Onion article was an "absolutely disgusting piece that lacks any place in journalism; including in your Onion." Cohen then demanded that the paper "immediately remove" the piece, which was satire, "from your website," and that it should "issue an apology to Mr. Trump."

This commentary goes way beyond defamation and, if not immediately removed, I will take all actions necessary to ensure your actions do not go without consequence. Guide yourself accordingly.

Five years later, The Onion decided to finally read the email, in which Cohen accuses the paper of defamation against Trump (incidentally, satire is not legally defamatory), demanding that the article is removed from the publication's website.

The Onion defended its piece, firing back that the paper was offering "over 10 billion readers who had found themselves depressed about the state of the world a hopeful reminder that he would mentally and physically deteriorate and most likely die very soon."

In their response, The Onion offered Cohen a quid pro quo deal—that they would remove the piece on Trump in exchange for "influence over the president's decision-making." Earlier this month, it was revealed that Trump holds nightly phone calls with Fox News personality Sean Hannity, with whom he bemoans Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into possible collusion with Russia during the 2016 presidential campaign. Speculation about Hannity's possible influence over the president has swirled, given Trump's propensity for listening to and hiring Fox News pundits.

We believe the removal of the piece in exchange for influence over the president’s decision-making constitutes a more than reasonable deal, and we implore Mr. Cohen to meet with us without delay. We are happy to schedule around his upcoming court appearances.

The Onion added that they have tried to reach Cohen at the phone numbers he provided but to no avail. "After receiving no reply, we can only assume you are trying to stonewall us," they said.

We believe that a partnership between us and Mr. Trump, shepherded by your steady hand, is the most fruitful way forward for the president, for The Onion, and for America.

We eagerly await your reply.

 “When You’re Feeling Low, Just Remember I’ll Be Dead In About 15 Or 20 Years" is a blistering referendum on Trumps' character. In the piece, which was penned in the style of Trump himself (including listing him as the author), a fake Trump talks about how great it will be when he eventually dies and includes discussion over how that could potentially happen.

Hey, I’ve got an idea! Let’s try a surefire pick-me-up that is certain to buoy your spirits right this very moment: let’s think of ways I could die! Perhaps I’ll suffer through a slow, excruciating kidney failure that leaves me in profound pain that the doctors just can’t treat. It could be a massive heart attack while I’m delivering a speech to investors, forcing me to clutch my chest in agony and stagger into the audience. It could be Alzheimer’s. Or I could even be diagnosed with a vicious form of cancer that at first appears to be responding well to chemotherapy but then takes a rapid and inescapable turn for the worse.

"So there’s no reason to be wearing a frown, my friend," wrote The Onion. "I will die, and I will die soon. And as long as you remember that, your days will be brighter. I promise."

Your move, Mr. Cohen.

More from News

Kristi Noem; Bryon Noem
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images; Bryon Noem/Facebook

Kristi Noem Asks For 'Privacy And Prayers' After Allegations That Her Husband Lives A Double Life As A Crossdresser Go Public

On Tuesday morning, the Daily Mail—a British tabloid paper based in London—published a story with the headline: "Secret double life of Kristi Noem's crossdressing husband Bryon: The pouting 'busty bimbo' photos and trove of explicit messages."

According to the Daily Mail, Bryon Noem—who was left behind in South Dakota while Kristi Noem allegedly lived in Coast Guard housing in Washington D.C. with her longtime affair partner Corey Lewandowski, who is also married—had been engaging in online exchanges with women who were part of the bimbofication sexual subculture.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Marco Rubio
ABC

Marco Rubio's Tone Deaf Attack On How Iran Is 'Spending Its Wealth' Is A Total Self-Own

Secretary of State Marco Rubio was called out for hypocrisy after he criticized Iran during an appearance on Good Morning America, admonishing the country for spending "billions of dollars" on weapons instead of its people.

Rubio appeared on the program to defend the increasingly unpopular war, which kicked off after the U.S., in a joint operation with Israel, authorized strikes on February 28.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tim Walz
Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

Official GOP X Account Slammed After Tweeting Homophobic Jab Aimed At Tim Walz

After Minnesota Governor Tim Walz shared a post backing the "No Kings" protests over the weekend, Republicans lashed out with a tweet that had more than homophobic undertones.

Last October, massive crowds flooded streets across the country on for “No Kings” protests denouncing Trump’s policies, with major demonstrations in New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Miami, and Los Angeles. Organizers said the demonstrations—which drew nearly seven million participants nationwide—remained overwhelmingly peaceful.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Gavin Newsom
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Trump Just Unveiled The Design For His Presidential Library—And Gavin Newsom Totally Clocked One Of Its Bizarre Features

California Gov. Gavin Newsom perfectly slammed President Donald Trump by comparing a proposed gold statue of the president—planned for display in Trump’s future presidential library—to the grandiose monuments erected for authoritarian leaders throughout history.

Eric Trump, the president’s son, released a video Monday showcasing renderings of the proposed Donald J. Trump Presidential Library in Miami, Florida.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot of mukbang with Zohran Mamdani and Sam Levine
C-SPAN

MAGA Gets Brutal Wakeup Call After Melting Down Over A Video Of Zohran Mamdani Talking With His Mouth Full

New York City Democratic Mayor Zohran Mamdani filmed a "mukbang"-style video alongside NYC's Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) Commissioner Sam Levine while eating Taco Bell and Dunkin' Donuts.

A mukbang is an often live-streamed video featuring a person eating while interacting with their audience. Mayor Mamdani's video was designed to reach a younger audience, so they used the mukbang format first made popular by South Korean content creators.

Keep ReadingShow less