Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Ryan Reynolds Has Classy Response After Gerard Butler Says 'I Don't Watch Ryan Reynolds Movies'

Ryan Reynolds Has Classy Response After Gerard Butler Says 'I Don't Watch Ryan Reynolds Movies'
Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images; Amanda Edwards/Getty Images

After being shaded by Gerard Butler, Ryan Reynolds took the high road. In the most classy and dignified way possible, he put his money where his mouth is.

During an interview with Unlaid earlier this month, the 300 star was asked about the similarities of Ryan Reynolds' current global blockbuster Free Guy and Butler's 2009 flop Gamer.


But Butler couldn't give much of an answer, as he openly admitted to having no idea what Free Guy was.

Butler initially cited being in Puerto Rico filming and being unable to go to the movies as his reason for not having heard of Free Guy.

But when Butler was informed it was the Deadpool star's current film, Butler's response suggested he wouldn't be seeing it any time soon.

"Oh sh*t is it… I don't watch Ryan Reynolds movies."

Reynolds didn't seem to be remotely insulted by Butler's dig, perhaps owing to the fact Free Guy has currently made over $300 million internationally.

Rather than clap back at Butler, Reynolds used the attention to promote a charitable cause.

Sharing People Magazine's coverage of the story on Instagram, Reynolds made a joke about Butler's remark before declaring he and his wife Blake Lively would match donations of up to one million dollars to be split between the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund through October 8.

Reynolds wrote:

"Can you believe Gerard Butler doesn't know what Free Guy is?"
"Also, can you believe that the challenges to democracy have never been greater and that Blake and I will match your contributions to the @aclu_nationwide and @naccp_ldf?"
"Order of these questions optimized for the Internet, NOT importance."

Reynolds also highlighted a comment he made to People's post, showing a screenshot of a message from the NAACP Legal Defense Fund regarding their pledge.

"We still believe in you 2021. Let's help @ACLU and @naccp_ldf change it together."

The ACLU shared the news of Reynolds and Lively's pledge on their Instagram page the day before Reynold's clever and classy response to Butler.

Reynolds' maneuver to shift the attention to raising money for charity was met with applause on Instagram.

@vancityreynolds/Instagram

@vancityreynolds/Instagram


@vancityreynolds/Instagram


@vancityreynolds/Instagram

@vancityreynolds/Instagram

Though a few couldn't help but throw Gerard Butler's dig back in his face.

@vancityreynolds/Instagram

@vancityreynolds/Instagram

@vancityreynolds/Instagram

Butler's dig could have bruised even the most steadfast of egos, but Reynolds' ability to seamlessly shift the attention to a more important issue is evidence the Canadian born movie star might be ego-less.

Donations to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund and the American Civil Liberties Union can be made online through October 8.

More from Trending

James Van Der Beek
Vivien Killilea/WarnerMedia and AT&T/Getty Images

GoFundMe For James Van Der Beek's Family Sparks Debate About U.S. Healthcare After Amassing Over $1.5 Million

Though Dawson's Creek's James Van Der Beek has only just tragically passed away at the age of 48, his family has had to start making financial plans amid their grief.

While going through cancer treatment, it became public knowledge that Van Der Beek was auctioning off much of his memorabilia from Dawson's Creek and other big products to cover the high costs of his cancer treatment. Though Cobra Kai star Paul Walter stepped in at the time and started a Cameo account to help offset those remaining medical costs, the debt continued to mount.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jill Zarin (left) criticized Bad Bunny (right) after his record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Sara Jaye/Getty Images; Todd Rosenberg/Getty Images

Former Reality Star Fired From New Show After Going On Racist Tirade About Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Real Housewives OG Jill Zarin may need to add “fired again” to her Bravo résumé after production axed her from the upcoming E! reality docuseries The Golden Life, which stars fellow RHONY originals Luann de Lesseps, Ramona Singer, Kelly Bensimon, and Sonja Morgan.

Zarin appeared on The Real Housewives of New York from 2008 to 2011, quickly branding herself the group’s truth-teller, a role that often blurred into pot-stirrer, grudge-holder, and reunion-stage detonator.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump receiving "Undisputed Champion of Coal" award
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Trump Dragged After Getting Yet Another Meaningless Award To Placate His Fragile Ego

Yet another group has taken advantage of one of the thinnest-skinned individual's fragile ego to manipulate the current President of the United States.

Joining politicians, foreign nations, foreign billionaires, corporations, and international organizations, the coal industry created a new shiny trinket for MAGA Republican President Donald Trump. On Wednesday, they awarded Trump the completely-not-made-up-just-to-appease-the-POTUS "Undisputed Champion of Beautiful Clean Coal" award.

Keep ReadingShow less
Volodymyr Zelenskyy; Vladyslav Heraskevych
Sergei Supinsky/AFP via Getty Images; Robert Michael/Picture Alliance via Getty Images

Zelenksyy Slams Olympics For Disqualifying Ukrainian Athlete Over Helmet Honoring Athletes Killed In War

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke out after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) disqualified Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for insisting on wearing a helmet painted with the faces of Ukrainian athletes killed by Russia since its 2022 invasion.

Yesterday, the IOC announced that Heraskevych would be barred from competing in that day’s skeleton events in Cortina, citing his refusal to abide by the IOC’s "guidelines on athlete expression." IOC President Kirsty Coventry personally weighed in on the ruling to sideline Heraskevych, saying she "felt it was really important to come and talk to him face-to-face."

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Mark Kelly; Pete Hegseth
@SenMarkKelly/X; Patrick Smith/Getty Images

Mark Kelly Speaks Out In Blistering Video After Judge Rules Pete Hegseth Violated Constitution By Trying To Punish Him

Arizona Democratic Senator Mark Kelly spoke out in a video on social media after a federal judge ruled that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth violated the U.S. Constitution by attempting to retaliate against Kelly for urging U.S. service members to refuse illegal orders.

Hegseth previously sparked outrage after announcing an investigation into Kelly—a former U.S. Navy captain and astronaut—for "serious allegations of misconduct" after Kelly joined five other members of Congress in a video reminding U.S. military members that they took an oath to obey the U.S. Constitution and can disobey illegal orders.

Keep ReadingShow less