Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Don Lemon Slams Elon Musk For Dropping His X Show After Their 'Tense' Interview Together

Don Lemon; Elon Musk
Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Blue Jacket Fashion Show, Steve Granitz/Getty Images

The former CNN anchor spoke out to confirm that his partnership with Musk and X is officially over after Musk apparently didn't like Lemon's line of questioning in the show's debut episode.

Former CNN anchor Don Lemon announced that his new online partnership with X (formerly Twitter), which intended to amplify "diverse voices" on the platform, was canceled after the interview he had with the platform's owner, SpaceX founder Elon Musk, went south.

News of the cancellation of The Don Lemon Show X partnership followed X CEO Linda Yaccarino's announcement on Tuesday that the social media platform would be a "video first platform."


Lemon said in a statement that Musk had publicly encouraged him to join X with a new show that would be given his full support.

He continued:

"I made the decision to work with them in a unique partnership that I believed would ultimately assure that my work would be available to most people, in the largest venue."

Lemon claimed "There were no restrictions on the interview that [Musk] willingly agreed to" and that his questions were "respectful and wide-ranging, covering everything from SpaceX to the presidential election."

However, Musk's pulling the plug on their collaboration indicated he felt differently even after he thought they had a "good conversation."

Said Lemon:

"His commitment to a global town square where all questions can be asked and all ideas can be shared seems not to include questions of him from people like me."


@donlemonofficial/Instagram


Lemon followed the announcement with a video post expounding on the canceled X project after Musk, who proclaimed he was a free speech "absolutist", was extremely upset from their "tense" interview.

"Apparently, free speech absolutism doesn't apply when it comes to questions about him from people like me," he told followers in the video.

He also said the interview would still air in full on YouTube and even on X.

CNN aired select clips from the 90-minute interview that allegedly led to Musk's decision to pull the plug on his partnership with Lemon.

In one of the clips, Lemon asked if Musk and X had a responsibility to moderate hate speech on his platform given the rise in hateful and extremist content since his acquisition of X in October 2022.

You can see his awkward reply below.

Musk said:

“I don’t have to answer questions from reporters, Don."
“The only reason I’m doing this interview is because you’re on the X platform and you asked for it. Otherwise, I would not do this interview.”

Lemon also pressed him about a meeting Musk had with former Republican President Donald Trump.

CNN had previously confirmed news of the meeting between Musk and Trump.

The ex-President had been hosting donors at Mar-a-Lago in Florida seeking to raise money for his troubled campaign as he's been penalized over half a billion dollars across three civil cases, primarily for New York business fraud.

“I was at a breakfast at a friend’s place and Donald Trump came by. That’s it,” said Musk, adding that the GOP presidential frontrunner did “most of the talking.”

Musk confirmed he was "not paying [Trump's] legal bills in any way shape or form.”

In his Instagram video, Lemon said he was very much aware of the opposition to him teaming up with Musk but remained resolute in pursuing the partnership anyway.

He explained:

"I just want you to know that I did this deal not because not only do I believe in free speech, but I believed that this was the best possible chance for the work that I'm doing to reach the largest amount of people."

Social media users weighed in with their thoughts following Lemon's announcement.








The conversation continued on Instagram.

@donlemonofficial/Instagram



@donlemonofficial/Instagram



@donlemonofficial/Instagram



@donlemonofficial/Instagram



@donlemonofficial/Instagram

Lemon said the interview will be the first episode of The Don Lemon Show which will be shown on YouTube on March 18.

Lemon also said he was posting the episode on X.

More from People

Donald Trump and Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

A New Photo Of Trump And RFK Jr.'s Hands Is Going Viral—And Something Is Definitely Up At The White House

A new photo of President Donald Trump and Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s bruised hands has gone viral and prompted people to wonder what in the world is going on at the White House.

On Tuesday, Trump hosted an event announcing that TrumpRx—a website designed to help Americans find discounted prescription medications—would expand access to lower-cost generic drugs.

Keep Reading Show less
Screenshot of JD Vance
@atrupar/X

JD Vance Just Tried To Call Out Democrats' Hypocrisy Over 'No Kings' For A Completely Mind-Numbing Reason

Vice President JD Vance was roasted after he attempted to accuse Democrats of hypocrisy for supporting the "No Kings" movement even as they applauded King Charles during his recent state visit.

King Charles addressed a joint meeting of Congress last month, becoming only the second British monarch to do so after his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, who spoke in 1991. His speech came as Trump has repeatedly criticized British Prime Minister Keir Starmer over Britain’s refusal to back the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran. The broadly unpopular war has only added to Americans' grievances.

Keep Reading Show less
John Travolta poses during the Propeller One-Way Night Coach photocall at the 79th annual Cannes Film Festival.
JB Lacroix/FilmMagic

John Travolta Just Explained Why He's Wearing His Much-Memed Berets At The Cannes Film Festival—And It Makes Sense

Among the glamorous gowns, tuxedos, and carefully curated red-carpet looks at Cannes, John Travolta somehow managed to steal attention with a collection of berets. After the photos sparked jokes across social media, the actor offered an explanation that is admittedly more researched than most people expected.

Travolta, 72, addressed the now-viral fashion choice during an interview with CNN, revealing that his repeated beret appearances weren't random. While promoting his directorial debut, Propeller One-Way Night Coach, at the film festival, he rotated through black, brown, and cream berets, often pairing them with wire-frame glasses and a neatly trimmed beard.

Keep Reading Show less
Jake Lang
Ryan Murphy/Getty Images

Washington Nationals Ban Jan. 6 Rioter After He Unfurls White Nationalist Banner Targeting Immigrants During Game

During the Washington Nationals baseball team's game day "Salute to Service" honoring veterans and those currently serving in the military, a racist White nationalist banner was unfurled in the upper deck.

The banner promoted a far-right website and called for someone to "save America" by deporting over 100 million.

Keep Reading Show less
AQUA, Danish pop band
Michel Linssen/Redferns/Getty Images

The '90s Band Aqua Just Announced They're Splitting Up After 30 Years—And The Internet Is Not Okay

In the '90s and early 2000s, there wasn't a basement or living room party happening without at least a little bit of Europop on the playlist, and almost guaranteed to make an appearance every time was the Danish band Aqua.

Best known for their song "Barbie Girl," Aqua was associated with upbeat tunes and living an utterly fantastic life. Bigger fans also knew them for smaller hit numbers like "Lollipop (Candyman)" and "Turn Back Time."

Keep Reading Show less