A woman in Australia walked into a wildfire to save Lewis, a badly burnt koala. Lewis was given water and wrapped in a blanket after being found on a road in the New South Wales state town of Wauchope.
Koala hero and rescuer Toni Doherty told Network Nine it was her “natural instinct" to rescue the koala from the fire.
She said she “immediately thought just get to him, put the fire out."
▶️ A woman risked her life to rescue a badly burnt and wailing koala from an Australian bushfire in New South Wale… https://t.co/o0V2hkiOLJ— The Voice of America (@The Voice of America)1574191800.0
The 14-year-old animal was taken to the nearby Port Macquarie Koala Hospital for treatment for severe burns to his feet, chest and stomach.
People all over the world are showing their support for this woman.
@VOANews If I could hug her right now I would!! The poor koala looked in so much pain 😭😭😭— 666 kids w/o their parents 🇩🇴 (@666 kids w/o their parents 🇩🇴)1574197821.0
Many are concerned for her wellbeing.
@VOANews Is she burnt?? What a pity koala, thanks for the lady for saving the day, you are a hero 🙏🙏— Naina Seven (@Naina Seven)1574193646.0
Others are worried about the situation.
@VOANews Great woman! But good grief! This is TERRIBLE!! 😢😢😢😢— Fátima Carrero (@Fátima Carrero)1574259376.0
It was truly a selfless act.
@VOANews @deesandyago I have such a high respect for people who care enough to rescue another life even at the risk of their own🙏🏾— Juman2Human (@Juman2Human)1574275717.0
Even Smokey the bear gave her a shout out.
What a rescue! As wildfires in Australia burn, this woman saved an injured koala from its burning home. Whenever an… https://t.co/bYwVeOw1xt— Smokey Bear (@Smokey Bear)1574277712.0
“She is an absolute legend for capturing this male koala who was so disorientated by the flames and unfortunately was burnt further as he headed back into active fire," the hospital commented on its Facebook page. “He has been treated and is now in the five-star accommodation at the Koala Hospital."
As wildfires in South Australia and New South Wales spread they have prompted fire officials to issue emergency warnings.
Stay safe out there!