Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

With In-Store Sales Dwindling, Starbucks Is Going to Start Coming to You

With In-Store Sales Dwindling, Starbucks Is Going to Start Coming to You
KRAKOW, POLAND - 2018/11/14: The Starbucks logo seen in Krakow. (Photo by Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images)

Whoa.

As consumers begin to veer away from relaxing at a café to enjoy their coffee, Starbucks is recalibrating its purchasing options as more and more people choose to sip their java on-the-go. The company announced at its Investor Day that it will be partnering with the delivery service Uber Eats to begin delivering coffee at over 2,000 locations by Spring of 2019. The move comes after in-person barista sales fell by 10% in just two years, while mobile orders more than doubled in the same amount of time—indicating a growing preference for efficiency over the communal atmosphere long touted by Starbucks cafés.

While the move will undoubtedly be helpful for heftier orders, some are wondering if a likely price increase on delivery orders will be worth the convenience.


Earlier this year, Uber Eats moved away from charging a $4.99 flat rate for delivery, opting for a distance-based model instead. It won't be clear how this will affect delivery prices for Starbucks until Spring, but Uber Eats reported that over half of delivery orders with the distance-based pricing ended up costing less than the original flat rate.

As often is the case with companies as large as Starbucks and Uber, some were concerned about the financial practices as well as the ethical implications.

And that was far from the end of people's feelings.

As happened with the deaths of napkins, handshakes, the Canadian tourism industry and a slew of other institutions, some blamed millennials.

Others came with jokes.

It's still too early to specify logistics—like what the delivery minimum will be or if there will be one at all—but those details will become more clear as 2019 commences. Even more time will tell whether or not Starbucks' move to preserve profits will have been worth it.

More from News

Donald Trump; Hunter Hess
Aaron Schwartz/Getty Images; Michael Reaves/Getty Images

Trump Ripped After Attacking Olympian For Saying He Has 'Mixed Emotions' About Representing U.S. Amid ICE Brutality

Members of the United States Winter Olympics team are facing pressures that prior teams rarely have.

It's a complicated time to be representing the U.S. on an international stage, with the actions of the administration of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump garnering international backlash from allies and adversaries alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lil Jon and son, Nathan Smith
Kevin Mazur/Pencils Of Promise/Getty Images

Rapper Lil Jon Confirms Tragic Death Of His Son With Devastating Message: 'I Am Extremely Heartbroken'

"Turn Down for What" rapper Lil Jon was left devastated this week after confirming the death of his 27-year-old son, Nathan Smith.

The child of Lil Jon and his former partner, Nicole Smith, Nathan was said to have left his home at about 6:00 in the morning on Tuesday, February 3, 2026. He's said to have been seen running away from the home in Milton, Georgia, though it's unclear if he was under any kind of duress.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amy Poehler; Carol Burnett
Good Hang with Amy Poehler / YouTube

Amy Poehler Got Choked Up While Paying 92-Year-Old Carol Burnett The Loveliest Compliment—And Fans Are Sobbing

While some of us might struggle with this truth, age really is just a number.

But iconic comedian Carol Burnett seems to have made peace with that at the age of 92.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Bad Bunny
Kyle Mazza/Anadolu via Getty Images; Kevin Sabitus/Getty Images

Trump Dragged After Having Predictable Meltdown Over Bad Bunny's Halftime Performance

President Donald Trump lashed out at Bad Bunny in a post on Truth Social on Sunday over the rapper's Super Bowl halftime performance, calling it a "slap in the face" to America.

Several months ago, conservatives melted down after rapper Bad Bunny, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, was announced as the first Latin male artist to headline the Super Bowl halftime show.

Keep ReadingShow less
A split screen of one of the hosts of Chicks in the Office; Miss Piggy Talking into a microphone.
@Chicks in the Office/YouTube

Miss Piggy Was Asked If Anyone Besides Kermit Has 'Caught Her Eye'—And Her Answer Has Fans Cackling

The Muppet Show recently made a triumphant return to the airways on ABC and Disney+, resulting in the long-awaited television return of the world's favorite diva, Miss Piggy.

Ahead of the special's premiere, the iconic blonde paid a visit to the podcast Chicks in the Office, taking the time to speak with hosts Maria "Ria" Ciuffo and Francesca "Fran" Mariano.

Keep ReadingShow less