Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

NC Election Board Fires Back at Cawthorn With Brutal Legal Filing in Case to Disqualify Him From Ballot

NC Election Board Fires Back at Cawthorn With Brutal Legal Filing in Case to Disqualify Him From Ballot
Pete Marovich/Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

The bipartisan North Carolina State Board of Elections has stated that it has the power to disqualify incumbent Madison Cawthorn from running in the upcoming election for his part in the January 6 insurrection.

The assertion was made in a court filing for the case Cawthorn brought in hopes of stopping the constitutional challenge to his ability to run for reelection, which has been brought by a group of progressive North Carolina voters who feel he should be disqualified from running due his involvement in Trump's "Stop the Steal" rally on January 6th and his contributions to riling up the Capitol rioters.


The basis for the effort: Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution, the "disqualification clause," which, states:

"No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, [...] to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof."

This clause was added to the Constitution after the American Civil War to prevent Confederate officials from returning to the offices they once occupied. It is now being used to argue that Cawthorn is no longer qualified to run for the office he currently occupies because he supported the insurrection after having taken his oath of office.

After he initially filed suit against the Elections Board, Cawthorn said:

"Running for office is not only a great privilege, it is a right protected under the Constitution. I love this country and have never engaged in, or would ever engage in, an insurrection against the United States."
"Regardless of this fact, the Disqualification clause and North Carolina’s Challenge Statute is being used as a weapon by liberal Democrats to attempt to defeat our democracy by having state bureaucrats, rather than the People, choose who will represent North Carolina in Congress."

The filing from the North Carolina Board of Elections fired back at Cawthorn:

"The State does not judge the qualifications of the elected members of the U.S. House of Representative. It polices candidate qualifications prior to the elections."
"In doing so, as indicated above, States have long enforced age and residency requirements, without question and with very few if any legal challenges. The State has the same authority to police which candidates should or should not be disqualified per Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment."

Shortly after the filing, during an interview with Steve Bannon on his War Room podcast, Cawthorn hinted that things might get violent if he is disqualified.

He told Bannon:

"This is only going to lead to one place if you want to try and take the right of the people away to be able to vote for their elected official. This is going down a very dangerous path."

He also told Bannon that he had no regrets about his actions on January 6 and how proud he was about having spoken at the rally before the violence broke out.

"They are specifically arguing that I engaged in insurrection or incited some kind of violence here on Jan. 6. Now as you know, I was very proud to go speak at the Stop the Steal rally. I was very proud to debate on behalf of Wisconsin and try and block the electors in that state."
"And apparently that -- even though it's a constitutionally protected right for me to do that as a congressman from North Carolina -- they're saying that that disqualifies me."


You can see Cawthorn's interview with Bannon below:

Madison Cawthorn reacts after NC officials claim power to disqualify him from ballotwww.youtube.com


Twitter users seemed hopeful that Cawthorn would be barred from running.


Many were outraged about Cawthorn's conversation with Bannon.


It remains to be seen whether Cawthorn will face consequences for his actions on January 6, and whether he will ultimately be barred from running to keep his Congressional seat. But it's clear that the bipartisan state election board believes they have the absolute right to.

More from News

Pete Hegseth
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

Pete Hegseth's Past Comments About Hygiene Resurface After He's Caught On Video Running His Snotty Hands Through His Hair

Remarks about not having washed his hands "in 10 years" resurfaced after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was caught on video wiping his nose with his hands before immediately running those same hands through his hair.

Hegseth was seen doing just that while listening to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent deliver remarks. Footage went viral after it was shared by progressive journalist Aaron Rupar.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Hinckley Jr. (left) shares a new message for Jodie Foster (right) 45 years after the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.
The Mark Joseph Show/YouTube; Gary Gershoff/WireImage

John Hinckley Jr. Shares New Message For Jodie Foster 45 Years After Shooting Ronald Reagan To Impress Her

Some Hollywood stories fade with time. The disturbing history connecting Jodie Foster and John Hinckley Jr. is not one of them. For those who don’t know, on March 30, 1981, Hinckley waited outside the Washington Hilton in Washington, D.C., where President Ronald Reagan had just addressed 5,000 members of the AFL-CIO.

As Reagan emerged from the hotel, Hinckley fired six shots from a revolver. One bullet ricocheted off Reagan’s limousine and struck him beneath his arm. White House Press Secretary James Brady, police officer Thomas Delahanty and Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy were also wounded.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Scott MacFarlane
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; CNN

Journalist Reveals Just How Much Money Has Been Diverted From National Parks For Trump's Vanity Projects—And People Are Livid

In a series of articles for MacFarlane News and MeidasTouch, videos, and an appearance on CNN, Chief Washington Correspondent for MeidasTouch Scott MacFarlane blew the whistle on MAGA Republican President Donald Trump’s raiding of National Park Service (NPS) funds. Aided by his Interior Secretary Doug Burgum, Trump diverted NPS money to pay for all of his White House and Washington D.C. vanity projects.

Trump’s hand-selected, mostly unwanted and unnecessary White House grounds and National Mall projects—things like a botched reflecting pool resurfacing, golden decor, a helipad, a ballroom, gilded statues, and giant flagpoles—alone took $423 million from major national parks across the country.

Keep ReadingShow less
Woman using hair tie
aire images/Getty Images

Engaged Woman Sparks Theories After Finding Strange Hair Tie Near Her And Fiancé's Home Entryway

Finding out that your partner is cheating doesn't always have to involve accidentally seeing a nefarious text message or walking in on the act. But sometimes, signs of what could be cheating might have a far stranger explanation.

Posting in the "Girl Dinner Diaries" subReddit, Redditor Jack-of-not posted a photo of an open-faced sandwich and explained what she'd discovered:

Keep ReadingShow less
Jenna Ortega
Esquire/X

Jenna Ortega Reveals Heartbreaking Reason She'd Go 'All Day' Without Eating Or Drinking On Set As Child Actor

During an interview with Esquire, Wednesday star Jenna Ortega admitted that she didn't recall any mistakes she made as a childhood star, and that might be the exact problem.

Though she's best-known now for her role in Wednesday, Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, and even Yes Day, Ortega's career began years before that when she lived out in the Coachella Desert.

Keep ReadingShow less