Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Drew Barrymore Announces She'll 'Pause' Show's Return After Igniting Controversy Amid Strikes

Getty Image of Drew Barrymore
Taylor Hill/FilmMagic/Getty Images

The talk show host said in a post on Instagram that she 'listened to everyone' and has made the decision to wait until the WGA strike is over to bring back her show, 'The Drew Barrymore Show.'

Make us preferred on Google

Drew Barrymore made an announcement on Sunday, revealing her decision to halt the production of the upcoming season of The Drew Barrymore Show until the ongoing writers' strike concludes.

In an Instagram post, Barrymore expressed her profound apologies to those she may have offended and particularly to the dedicated team behind the show that has contributed to its success.



Last week, Barrymore said that her talk show would proceed with its new season despite the ongoing Writers Guild of America strike.

In a now-deleted video posted on Instagram, she acknowledged the gravity of the situation, likening the decision to continue her show during the writers' strike to the challenges faced when it ran during the COVID-19 pandemic.

She took full responsibility for her choice, stating,

"I believe there's nothing I can do or say in this moment to make it OK."

Despite offering apologies to writers and unions, she had originally intended to proceed with the show.

However, the video received significant backlash from writers and actors, including Debra Messing and David Krumholtz, prompting Barrymore to delete it without explanation.

Krumholtz remarked on the complexity of the situation for the thousands of individuals who continue to strike and adhere to strike rules.

The Writers Guild of America issued a statement, asserting that Barrymore should not be on the air while her writers are on strike, as their fight for a fair deal is a fundamental issue.

The statement emphasized that shows like Barrymore's cannot function without writing, which constitutes struck work.

Rosie O'Donnell, who hosted her own talk show in the 1990s, offered advice to Barrymore by sharing an essay written by Elizabeth Grey on her Instagram.

The essay urged Barrymore to cease taping the show and refrain from asking audiences to cross the picket line.

It also advised her to issue a statement that acknowledges her error, apologizes to the Writers Guild of America for disrespecting professional writers' work, and expresses remorse to all union members who endure hardship while she enjoys a life of luxury.

Notably, Barrymore had initially shown solidarity with the writers' strike by stepping down as the host of the MTV Movie and TV Awards in May.

At the time, Barrymore said:

"I have listened to the writers, and in order to truly respect them, I will pivot from hosting the MTV Movie & TV Awards live in solidarity with the strike."

However, her decision to resume her talk show during the strike led to the National Book Foundation withdrawing its invitation for her to host its 74th National Book Awards Ceremony.

The foundation emphasized its commitment to celebrating writers and books and expressed gratitude to Barrymore and her team for their understanding in the situation.

People wondered what took her so long, but were glad she finally came to her senses.









All this back and forth? That’s the stuff that can’t be written.

More from Trending

Screenshots from TikToker @user4934997299767's video
@user4934997299767/TikTok

TikToker Confronts Stranger Who Allegedly Stopped His Car To Follow Her—And Women Are Nodding Hard

Though skeptics might argue that women can safely walk around and enjoy life without a care in the world, one woman shared a video of how often that isn't true.

Originally posted on TikToker @user4934997299767's account, the woman recorded herself walking outside on a sidewalk in a wide open area, allegedly right after a man had driven past her and noticed her. He'd then made a U-turn and pulled his car over so that he could get out and follow her.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anne Hathaway
Cindy Ord/SiriusXM/Getty Images

Anne Hathaway Just Revealed That She Was Having A Panic Attack In One Of Her Most Memed Moments—And Fans Are Floored

Anne Hathaway has been involved in a lot of memes throughout her career, from looking disappointedly at an ice cream cone to her transformation as Mia Thermopolis in The Princess Diaries becoming one of the most frequently trending sounds on TikTok.

Fortunately, not only is Hathaway aware of many of these mentions, but based on her Esquire interview opposite Star Wars star Ewan McGregor, she finds many of them quite funny.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @a_daywillcome's video
@a_daywillcome/Instagram

Woman Who Lives In High-Rise Sparks Debate After Forcing Hispanic Window Cleaner To Get Off Her Balcony in Viral Video

A woman who lives in a high-rise building called out an employee for walking on her balcony to clean her windows, and she did not get the validation she was looking for when she shared the video.

The woman started recording as she walked into her main living space, and an employee was unstrapped from the equipment used to scale the building as he cleaned her balcony windows.

Keep ReadingShow less
Tom Holland & Zendaya; Chrissy Teigen
Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images; MEGA/GC Images

Resurfaced Clip Of Zendaya's Panicked Expression After She Thought Chrissy Teigen Was About To Kiss Tom Holland Has Fans Cackling

By now, pretty much anyone who spends any time on the internet is intimately familiar with Tom Holland's iconic 2017 performance on Lip Sync Battle, emulating Rihanna and doing a barn-storming performance of "Umbrella."

For one, it's just an incredible performance. But what really makes the moment shine is Zendaya's reaction to it as she watches—many believe it's the exact moment she fell for the actor.

Keep ReadingShow less
Sam Altman
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

OpenAI CEO Ripped After Suggesting Tip For Using ChatGPT To Help Parent Your Kids—And It's So Bleak

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is desperate to push his highly unpopular product, going on talk shows to gush about its benefits and making suggestions online for how everyone can use ChatGPT in their daily lives. The tech billionaire tries hard to sell the public on AI, but his recent assertion that parents should use it to avoid speaking with their kids didn't land well.

On Friday, Altman tried to convince parents that his app, ChatGPT Work, was the answer to their parenting needs. But it read more like a cheat code for people who don't know how to interact with other humans, including their own children.

Keep ReadingShow less