Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Tom Cruise Just Thanked Fans For Seeing 'Top Gun: Maverick' While Jumping Out Of A Helicopter, Naturally

Screenshots of Tom Cruise about to skydive
@TomCruise/Twitter

The daredevil actor posted a skydiving video from the set of 'Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning' with a special message for fans.

This holiday season, Academy Award-nominated actor and fearless daredevil Tom Cruise had a very special message for fans after he delivered it via "air male."

And unlike his previous delivery fail with a blown-up holiday cake that went viral, this special delivery attempt soared to thrilling heights.


The officially licensed flying pilot since 1994 expressed his gratitude for moviegoers making Top Gun: Maverick a box office smash and critical success.

To dramatically show just how grateful he was for audiences physically going to theaters this year in support of the follow-up to 1986's Top Gun, Cruise took to the skies over South Africa and jumped off a helicopter to make his heartfelt declaration.

Cruise is currently in production filming the next two installments in the Mission: Impossible franchise–Dead Reckoning Part One & Two.

Before tumbling into the atmosphere, Cruise thanked fans for giving him and his crew a chance to entertain–which he considered "the honor of a lifetime."

Cruise said as he was hurtling through the skies:

"I’m running out of altitude, so I’ve got to get back to work. We’ve got to get this shot."
"You have a very safe and happy holiday. We’ll see you at the movies.”

Mission: Impossible director Christoper McQuarrie made a cameo in the video as a passenger in the aircraft, and he playfully told the A-lister while tapping on his watch:

"Hey, we gotta roll, we gotta get this shot."

The death-defying stunt was filmed as Cruise and McQuarrie reunited to work on Dead Reckoning Part One.

McQuarrie previously directed the fifth and sixth films in the MI franchise–2015’s Rogue Nation and 2018’s Fallout.

When asked if he was tagging along for the airborne stunt, McQuarrie told Cruise:

"Not on your life. Good luck."

With a fist bump and a double thumbs up from the MI director, Cruise dangled off the side of the helicopter and delivered his holiday message of thanks to fans for supporting Maverick as he and the aircraft flew across the danger zone.

And with that, Cruise was released for his free-fall and presumably safe landing back on terra firma.

Fans gave props to Cruise for his grand gesture, his general affableness in Hollywood, and for the political neutrality depicted in his blockbuster films.











Top Gun: Maverick –which was also co-written by McQuarrie along with Ehren Kruger, and Eric Warren Singer from a story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks–earned a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture - Drama, and the Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Picture.

Fans and critics cited the sequel in which Cruise reprised his character, naval aviator Maverick, as superior to its predecessor, Top Gun.

Maverick has grossed $1.488 billion worldwide and became the highest-grossing film of 2022.

It is also reportedly the highest-grossing film of Cruise's career.

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One is scheduled for a July 14, 2023 US opening.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Tomás-Llorenç Guarino Sabaté performs his Minions-inspired routine, complete with a yellow shirt and blue overalls.
Courtesy of Sporteurope.TV

Figure Skater Shares Hopeful Update After His Popular 'Minions' Routine Was Banned Just Days Before Olympics

Minions… on ice? That was the plan for Olympic figure skater Tomás-Llorenç Guarino Sabaté, who hoped to bring a dose of animated absurdity to the 2026 Winter Olympics with a Minions-inspired routine set to music from the 2015 film. Instead, just days before the Games, the crowd-pleasing program was abruptly pulled.

The Catalan skater had used the music throughout the season without issue after purchasing the required permissions under International Skating Union (ISU) regulations. Thanks to its playful originality, the routine had become one of the most anticipated men’s short programs heading into Milan-Cortina.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kelly Clarkson
Debra L Rothenberg/Getty Images

Kelly Clarkson Shares Heartfelt Post To Explain Why She's Ending Her Talk Show After Seven Seasons

We all go through different seasons in life, and sometimes to honor the next season, we have to make changes and sacrifices.

For Kelly Clarkson, months after ex-husband Brandon Blackstock passed away due to a heart attack, it became clear that she needed to focus less on entertainment and give the next chapter of her life to her children, who she shared with Blackstock.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nicki Minaj
Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

Nicki Minaj Dragged After Writing Cryptic Posts About Artists In 'Satanic Cult' That Sacrifices Babies

During Sunday's Grammy Awards telecast, newly minted, Trump gold card-carrying MAGA minion Nicki Minaj made herself a target of ridicule with a series of unhinged posts on X.

Her posts culminated with a homophobic attack against Trevor Noah which included a meme of herself in a pink ballcap that read "Nicki was right about everything."

Keep ReadingShow less
Jelly Roll
Kevin Winter/Getty Images for The Recording Academy

Grammy Winner Jelly Roll Called Out After Giving Bizarre Excuse To Avoid Reporter's Question About ICE

Country star Jelly Roll is facing criticism after he attempted to avoid a question from a reporter about ICE after Sunday's Grammy Awards by claiming he's just a "dumb redneck."

The singer—whose real name is Jason Bradley DeFord—earned three awards on Sunday, winning Best Country Duo/Group Performance with Shaboozey, Best Contemporary Christian Music Performance/Song with Brandon Lake, and Best Contemporary Country Album for his tenth studio album, Beautifully Broken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Kayleigh McEnany discussing "Melania" film
Fox News

Kayleigh McEnany Raises Eyebrows With Dubious Story About Her Mom Watching 'Melania' At Packed Theater

Fox News host Kayleigh McEnany—who served as White House Press Secretary during the final stretch of the first Trump administration—had people raising their eyebrows after she claimed her mother saw the new documentary Melania at a lively Florida movie theater that was "standing room only."

Melania follows current First Lady Melania Trump in the 20 days leading up to President Donald Trump’s second inauguration following the 2024 presidential election. The film was directed by Brett Ratner, who was accused of sexual harassment and misconduct by at least six women.

Keep ReadingShow less