24-year-old William Brown died in a freak accident when a vape-pen he was using exploded in his face. The pieces of the pen lodged in his neck and severed his carotid artery, causing a stroke.
He died two days after the January 24th accident at a local hospital. He had just come from a smoke and vape shop when the incident occurred; however, when investigators called the shop, they claimed that the vape pen was not sold to Brown by them and that they did not know where he bought it. Brown had just switched to the vape pen in an effort to improve his breathing since he suffered from asthma.
According to the US Fire Administration...
"No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body. It is this intimate contact between the body and the battery that is most responsible for the severity of the injuries that have been seen. While the failure rate of the lithium-ion batteries is very small, the consequences of a failure, as we have seen, can be severe and life-altering for the consumer."
People were anxious for more answers.
@BuzzFeedNews Brand and model of mod, please.— manmadesounds🌹 (@manmadesounds🌹)1549397324.0
@manmadesounds @BuzzFeedNews that's what I'm saying. if this thing killed a man , the people need to know what NOT… https://t.co/mUCO2V0Z4H— Cptn. Grimez [+] (@Cptn. Grimez [+])1549398197.0
@BuzzFeedNews But which vape pen was it tho...? ....like.... so no one else will buy it....— Ciera Danyel (@Ciera Danyel)1549392628.0
@BuzzFeedNews What brand of e-pens are exploding? Is there faulty manufacturing in a particular brand? A little more info would be helpful.— Jill Moberg ❄🇺🇸🐩🌊🍸 (@Jill Moberg ❄🇺🇸🐩🌊🍸)1549399622.0
People offered their condolences.
@nbcwashington Very sad my condolences goes out to the family. To anyone who uses e-cigarettes here is some general… https://t.co/OT3m80AAwZ— Fractal (@Fractal)1549400985.0
@nbcwashington Can't smoke out of anything these days. Seems like, mostly everything is dangerous after the fact..… https://t.co/DrGQwj5MKo— 🌹💋Basic bihh Alisha💋🌹 (@🌹💋Basic bihh Alisha💋🌹)1549442303.0
Let this be a lesson to everyone. Smoking has always been dangerous, in more ways than one, and it's just not worth it.
RIP William Brown.