Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Five Florida Cops Charged After Video Shows Them Violently Arresting Two Black Men At Hotel

Five Florida Cops Charged After Video Shows Them Violently Arresting Two Black Men At Hotel
@ThisIsButter/YouTube

Five Miami Beach police officers who had been suspended are now being charged with battery.

The charges were announced by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney on Monday, August 2, 2021, after video footage showed the officers using excessive force against 24-year-old Dalonta Crudup and 28-year-old Khalid Vaughn.


The footage, released by the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's office, was uploaded to the YouTube page ThisIsButter, which is dedicated to sharing police footage.


5 Miami Beach police officers face battery charges after rough arrestsyoutu.be

The video features both surveillance footage from the Royal Palms Hotel, where the incident took place, and body cam footage from the officers on the scene.

In the footage, Crudup was stopped at gun point by an office after entering an elevator. He quickly complied, exiting the elevator with his hands in the air before lying on the ground.

Dozens of officers swarmed Crudup as he lay handcuffed on the ground.

The video paused on a number of occasions to show Officer Kevin Perez kicking Crudup and slamming his head to the ground, both in real time and in slow motion.

Sergeant Jose Perez kicked Crudup three times in the surveillance video, including a kick to Crudup's head after the majority of his fellow officers had left the scene.

The body cam footage showed an even closer view of both Sergeant Perez and Officer Perez kicking and punching Crudup, with blood visible on the hotel lobby floor.

This preceded Officer Robert Sabeter tackling Vaughn, who was recording the incident on his cell phone, before showing Officer David Ross punching Vaughn multiple times in the stomach.

A separate body cam captured Officer Steve Serrano punching Vaughn in the torso multiple times.

As reported by The Huffington Post, State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle responded with disgust, saying in a press conference:

"Police officers face a variety of dangers on the job each and every day, however, as I've previously said, excessive force can never, ever, ever, be an acceptable foundation for the policing of any community."

As reported by the Miami area's WSN7-TV, Rundle found the multiple kicks to the head "unfathomable," "unspeakable," and "inexcusable," adding that Miami Police Chief Richard Clements was "horrified" by the footage.

She thanked Chief Clements in a subsequent Twitter post for making her aware of the incident and for "recognizing the wrongs committed."

The surveillance and body cam footage was greeted with horror and dismay from viewers, and added to tensions surrounding police brutality in the United States.

@ThisIsButter/YouTube


@ThisIsButter/YouTube


@WSVN-TV/YouTube


@WSVN-TV/YouTube

Others took to Twitter, wondering if the five officers will receive a sufficient punishment.


Officers claimed they initially pursued Crudup after he illegally parked his scooter, and then struck an officer with it, leaving that officer with a leg injury requiring crutches.

Crudup denied hitting the officer, saying he didn't realize he was being pursued as he was wearing headphones. He told Local 10 News that he ran because he was scared.

"They trying to put a Black man in jail for no reason. I ain't do nothing wrong."

Crudup was charged with a number of counts, including aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer. Vaughn was charged with resisting arrest and impeding a police investigation.

After viewing the footage, Chief Clements asked that all charges against Crudup and Vaughn be dropped.

More from Trending

Hillary Clinton
Kimberly White/Getty Images for Common Sense Media

Hillary Clinton Has Iconic Reaction To Trump Administration's 'Atlantic' Text Scandal

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had a succinct response after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Jenna Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/TikTok; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Elon Musk's Trans Daughter Epically Claps Back After Musk Claims His Child 'Died'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter, Vivian Jenna Wilson, used an iconic soundbite from RuPaul's Drag Race to clap back at Musk's claim that his child had "died."

The SpaceX co-founder responded to a post on X (formerly Twitter) defending Musk for appearing to give the Nazi salute twice at Republican President Donald Trump's inauguration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Mike Myers and Mark Carney
@MarkJCarney/X

Mike Myers Joins Canada's New Prime Minister For Epic Jab At Trump In Viral Video

Actor and comedian Mike Myers has gone viral after joining Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney for a video message that mocks President Donald Trump and his plan to make Canada the 51st state of the United States.

In the Liberal Party skit, Mike Myers and Mark Carney—both dressed in red Canada jerseys—share a moment at a hockey practice. Carney starts off skeptical of Myers, questioning his Canadian credentials since he now lives in the United States, despite being born and raised in Canada.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Drops F-Bombs After Trump Administration Invites Journalist Into High-Level Military Group Chat

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg passionately spoke out after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump with Easter bunny at 2017 Easter egg roll
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Blasted After Turning Annual White House Easter Tradition Into Corporate Grift

President Donald Trump has sparked concerns from ethics experts after soliciting corporate sponsors for the annual White House Easter Egg Roll.

Potential sponsors of the April 21 event were presented with three sponsorship options ranging from $75,000 to $200,000, according to a nine-page guide reviewed by The New York Times.

Keep ReadingShow less