Burlington, Massachusetts saw an unexpected tragedy after a chemical incident caused the death of one person and the hospitalization of 11 others.
The chemical in question, Sodium Hypochlorite, is a chemical found in the cleaning solution Super 8, which is said to smell of "ammonia and chlorine."
The chemical was first perceived by customers during business hours and the premises evacutated.
A Buffalo Wild Wings employee died after being exposed to a cleaning agent used on the kitchen floor of one of the… https://t.co/ClQrA3r3wS— CNN Breaking News (@CNN Breaking News) 1573224952.0
One customer told WCVB:
"We're just sitting there and then all of a sudden we start smelling the whatever it was, ammonia or whatever it smelled like, and all of a sudden the inside of my nose starts burning."
"We see the employees, like, the waitstaff, everybody, just flee."
A restaurant worker is dead and 10 other people are hospitalized after inhaling fumes from a cleaning agent at a Bu… https://t.co/OraaneAgJL— TODAY (@TODAY) 1573216671.0
UPDATE: Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington remains closed today. Grief counselors are on hand. We’re told the employe… https://t.co/UdB3BnZ5rP— Jeff Saperstone NBC10 Boston (@Jeff Saperstone NBC10 Boston) 1573228890.0
Update from Buffalo Wild Wings, Burlington: • cleaning crews on scene • GM died trying to help clean up Super 8 or… https://t.co/O3b4n9oBnu— Josh Brogadir (@Josh Brogadir) 1573226445.0
💔This is just so heartbreaking. A Buffalo Wild Wings employee in Burlington lost his life trying to stop a bad chem… https://t.co/pDZoTcZIcz— Juliana Mazza (@Juliana Mazza) 1573223899.0
This is so sad. Please don't mix bleach and... well, anything. https://t.co/14FZUt3j4n— T.J. Donegan (@T.J. Donegan) 1573187720.0
"We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar and are working closely with our franchisee and the authorities while they conduct an investigation."
@cnnbrk Follow instructions and never mix any chemicals..— Chela Corona (@Chela Corona) 1573231004.0
@cnnbrk Wow, what a shame that such an occupational hazard existed at that location. RIP to the manager ,and the… https://t.co/Mz4gESSBTD— 👑King Sybaritic 💪🦁 (@👑King Sybaritic 💪🦁) 1573232965.0
@cnnbrk Stuff like this is exactly why places need thorough safety training and to hire specific people that are ac… https://t.co/kEfwzinOKS— Trash (@Trash) 1573235198.0
@cnnbrk I guarantee it was mixed with another cleaner. I've worked in kitchens for years and saw it happen more th… https://t.co/JqF7wOCZd2— T. S. Visage (@T. S. Visage) 1573225871.0
@cnnbrk Reminds me of working at a Fox Photo years ago, and they had the manager pouring spent developer chemicals… https://t.co/WlJxVufMDX— Lady Liberty 76 (@Lady Liberty 76) 1573235631.0
Anybody exposed was urged to seek medical attention.
@cnnbrk I teach Chemistry and warn my students about this every year. DON’T MIX BLEACH with anything else! This so… https://t.co/EhhmkyrG37— Ted Pinson (@Ted Pinson) 1573233754.0
@cnnbrk In the absence of more detail, this certainly sounds like a chemical reaction, versus simply the cleaning product itself. Very sad.— Rob Clendening (@Rob Clendening) 1573234773.0
@cnnbrk I was poisoned at a work place when someone used drain clog cleaner and I'm not sure what else but result w… https://t.co/WV3IE6ByHQ— Fata Morgana (@Fata Morgana) 1573281773.0
@cnnbrk Sad for sure, but the reason businesses have MSDS sheets and basic hazardous materials training is to AVOID… https://t.co/uKM4kptTHo— DebbieT (@DebbieT) 1573227809.0
@cnnbrk Do not mix Clorex with Amonia that will produce Clorine gas It is a killer— Sherif Aiad (@Sherif Aiad) 1573230631.0
The tragic death brought about by an unfortunate chemical reaction has caused the Buffalo Wild Wings to remain closed.
In the meanwhile, make sure to read the warning labels on your household cleaners.
Such chemical reactions also happen at home and cause injuries and death every year.