Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Hillary Clinton Just Perfectly Trolled NASA After They Announced Their All-Female Space Walk Will Not Be All-Female After All

Hillary Clinton Just Perfectly Trolled NASA After They Announced Their All-Female Space Walk Will Not Be All-Female After All
Steve Parsons/PA Images via Getty Images // NASA.gov

Well said.

NASA scuttled its plans for its first all-female spacewalk because the agency doesn’t have enough spacesuits that fit the astronauts, forcing one of the two women on the mission, Anne McClain, to give up her spot to a male colleague. McClain, NASA said, thought a large-sized suit would be fine but after a spacewalk last week discovered that the medium-sized was a better fit.

“Anne trained in ‘M’ and ‘L’ and thought she could use a large but decided after [last] Friday’s spacewalk a medium fits better,” a Nasa spokeswoman, Stephanie Schierholz, said yesterday. NASA would stay on schedule because "it's safer and faster to change spacewalker assignments than reconfigure spacesuits."


The news quickly took social media by storm, but Hillary Clinton needed just three short words to explain why forcing McClain to give up her spot made no sense.

"Make another suit," she said.

Others concurred. It's just plain old common sense, right?

The answer might not be so simple, though. Ars Technica's senior space editor Eric Berger wrote in a piece that while the change of plans is "unfortunate," it's ultimately the "right" decision:

It really was a "fit" issue in regard to spacesuits. After her EVA (extravehicular activity) last Friday in a "large" spacesuit, McClain realized she would be better able to work in a suit with a medium-sized torso. The torso is a fiber-glass shell, and if it is not snug it is difficult to maneuver the suit and reach control dials on the front. (Spacesuits sometimes fit differently in microgravity than in ground tests).

NASA has four spacesuits on the International Space Station, according to Jacklyn Kagey, lead officer for the upcoming spacewalk. Two of those suits are medium-sized, but only one is presently configured for a spacewalk (making the second one ready would require about 12 hours of work). Since Koch also uses a medium-sized suit, NASA planners decided the safest decision was to have Koch proceed in the medium suit and Hague participate in a larger suit.

He also provided further insight into NASA's "spacesuit problem":

NASA does have a spacesuit problem. A 2017 report by the agency's inspector general catalogued some of these issues. Notably, the agency's current stock of spacesuits were designed in 1974 and were first flown in 1981. "Designed for the Space Shuttle Program, each EMU has been partially redesigned and completely refurbished multiple times over the last 40 years," the report stated.

Of the 18 spacesuits originally produced, 11 remain in service. Those suits are rotated up to the station, and down, and are serviced on the ground. NASA performs maintenance on each suit after six years on the station, or 25 EVAs, whichever comes first. "We have a sustaining plan that gets us out through the remainder of the program with these particular suits," Todd said.

The 2017 report criticized the agency's efforts to develop a "next generation" of spacesuits that would be needed for activities at the Lunar Gateway, in orbit around the Moon, on the Moon, or on Mars. Part of the problem is that the destination for NASA's crewed programs has changed at least three times since 2005, and there have also been issues with stewardship. As a result, the report found, "The agency remains years away from having a flight-ready spacesuit ... suitable for use on future exploration missions."

This information aside, the announcement has continued to be criticized by high profile figures who say NASA should have foreseen the trouble.

McClain and Christina Koch were set to make history as the first all-female crew aboard the International Space Station to conduct a spacewalk to install lithium-ion batteries for one pair of the station's solar arrays. Koch will instead be joined by their male colleague, Nick Hague.

The all-female spacewalk was to be part of a series of three spacewalks to complete work on the ISS. McClain and her male colleague, Nick Hague, conducted the first in the series on March 22. McClain is tentatively scheduled to be joined by Canadian Space Agency astronaut David Saint-Jacques for the third spacewalk in the series on April 8.

More from News

dog and cat snuggling together
Krista Mangulsone on Unsplash

Times Pet Owners 'Severely Underestimated' Their Pets' Intelligence

I've lived with cats—because no one owns a feline—most of my life. Some have been very clever creatures while others were real dingbats.

Family members have owned dogs whose talents also ran the gamut.

Keep ReadingShow less
Scott Bessent
Meet the Press/NBC News

Scott Bessent Blasted Over His Bonkers Suggestion For How To Bring Your Own Inflation Rate Down

Continuing to follow the example of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent appeared on Meet the Press Sunday to blame Democratic President Joe Biden for the financial downturn caused by Trump's tariff fiasco, then lied repeatedly about the state of the economy.

Meet the Press host Kristen Welker played a clip of MAGA Republican Vice President JD Vance telling a conservative audience at a Breitbart News event that Americans owe the Trump administration "a little bit of patience"—apparently while they figure out what tariffs are and how they work since they're rolling back more of them to lower consumer prices despite claiming Trump's tariffs don't affect consumer prices.

Keep ReadingShow less
Lindsay Lohan attends the men's final during day fifteen of the 2025 US Open Tennis Championships at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Elsa/Getty Images

Lindsay Lohan Is Now Sporting A New Accent—And Fans Aren't Sure What To Make Of It

In a twist freakier than a sequel to Freaky Friday, Lindsay Lohan has debuted yet another new accent—this time at the Fashion Trust Arabia Awards in Doha, Qatar.

Draped in a maroon, jewel-trimmed gown by The New Arrivals Ilkyaz Ozel and accompanied by her husband, Bader Shammas, and their 2-year-old son, Luai, the actress looked serene, elegant, and completely unbothered by the collective whiplash she was about to inflict on the internet.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jameela Jamil
Gilbert Flores/Variety/Getty Images

Jameela Jamil Speaks Out Against The Rise Of The 'Aesthetic Of Emaciation' Among Women In Hollywood

Content Warning: eating disorders, thinness as an aesthetic, emaciation in Hollywood

There's no denying that we've been gifted with some incredible music, television shows, and films this year.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; Screenshot of Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in "Rush Hour 2"
Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP via Getty Images; New Line Cinema

Trump Is Now Using His Presidential Sway To Pressure Studio Into Making 'Rush Hour 4'—And, Huh?

President Trump has reportedly pressured Paramount head Larry Ellison to make another sequel to Rush Hour, his favorite buddy-cop movie, as the company looks to acquire Warner Bros. Discovery.

The first Rush Hour film, starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, was released in 1998, received positive reviews, and made $245 million worldwide. Chan and Tucker returned for two sequels released in 2001 and 2007 respectively.

Keep ReadingShow less