Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Former Department of Justice Official Just Called Donald Trump a 'Clear and Present Danger' to Our National Security

Former Department of Justice Official Just Called Donald Trump a 'Clear and Present Danger' to Our National Security
MSNBC

And there it is.

President Donald Trump is a threat to national security because of his relationship with Vladimir Putin, one former counterintelligence official told Rachel Maddow Monday night.

David Laufman, the former chief of the Counterintelligence and Export Control Section of the Justice Department's National Security Division, said his “tipping point” came after reading a Washington Post story about how Trump went to great lengths to hide details of his meetings with Putin.


The Post's reporting was "positively chilling," said Laufman, pointing to Trump's “unbelievable acquiescence” to Putin in Helsinki last summer. Trump's perceived subservience to Putin is “positively shocking” for an American president, he stressed.

“It’s a painful anguishing thing to acknowledge that the president of the United States is a clear and present danger to the national security of the United States,” Laufman said.

"National security begins at home," Laufman warned, "and the positions the administration has taken on domestic policy issues, the divisiveness... undermining the cohesiveness we have as a people... that weakens us as a people and makes us more vulnerable to our enemies."

Laufman added that there is "nothing mundane about the FBI launching a counterintelligence investigation focused on the president of the United States."

Watch below. Laufman begins at 28:00:

Laufman encouraged citizens to "mobilize and communicate with members of Congress" in a "legal and non-violent call to arms" because "there is nothing mundane" about a president being investigated for working on behalf of a hostile foreign power.

Laufman's words and experience carry serious weight, and his visible concern is worrisome.

Prior to his appearance on MSNBC, Kaufman tweeted Sunday night: "Now is the time for all good men (and women) to come to the aid of their country," linking to the bombshell report from WaPo.

The problem is that few within the President's party are willing to step up, despite the "clear and present danger" Kaufman described.

The President's most ardent supporters continue to fall in line with him no matter the issue, even if it means enabling Trump's government shutdown, the longest ever, now on its 23rd day.

Utter silence from those in power charged with protecting our country from enemies foreign and domestic.

None of this is normal.

More from People/donald-trump

Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less
Rick Scott
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

MAGA Senator Slammed After Saying U.S. Olympians Critical Of Trump Should Be 'Stripped Of Their Olympic Uniform'

Florida Republican Senator Rick Scott was slammed after sharing a video criticizing U.S. Olympians who are conflicted about representing the United States amid President Donald Trump's controversial policies.

Scott spoke out after multiple Olympians made headlines for criticizing the Trump administration amid its nationwide immigration crackdown.

Keep ReadingShow less