Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

​Popular Female Thriller Author Who Won $1.2 Million Literary Prize Turns Out To Be Three Men

​Popular Female Thriller Author Who Won $1.2 Million Literary Prize Turns Out To Be Three Men
Kike Rincon/Europa Press via Getty Images
Make us preferred on Google

A popular Spanish novelist made headlines today—and she is not what she seems.

Famous crime thriller author Carmen Mola recently won a literary award for $1.2 million, but when "she" went on stage to claim the award, "her" fans, as well as King Felipe VI of Spain himself, were absolutely stunned at what they saw.


As it turned out, "Carmen Mola," was actually three men.

Agustín Martínez, Jorge Díaz and Antonio Mercero, three Spanish television screenwriters, went up on stage at the Planeta award show to claim the $1.2 million prize awarded to Carmen Mola.

In doing so, the men subsequently came clean to fans—and the King of Spain—their beloved female author did not actually exist.

Díaz said after accepting the award:

"Carmen Mola is not, like all the lies we've been telling, a university professor."
"We are three friends who one day four years ago decided to combine our talent to tell a story."

Many fans knew the author known as "Carmen Mola" had been writing under a pseudonym, but interviews suggested the author was a professor in Madrid with three children and a penchant for keeping her real identity private.

In other words, although many of Mola's readers had known she was writing under a false name, they had all believed the female writer was in fact a female writer.

The men are now the topic of criticism, as many people feel they used a female pseudonym in an attempt to gain more traction and media attention in a literary genre dominated by men.

One of these critics is the former director of Spain's Women's Institute, Beatriz Gimeno.

Gimeno accused the men of being "scammers" and using a female pseudonym "to take in readers and journalists."


The men disagree with this take, however, claiming they never intended to use the pseudonym to gain outsized interest and stating they hadn't given the pseudonym much thought to begin with.

Mercero said of the controversy:

"We didn't hide behind a woman, we hid behind a name."
"I don't know if a female pseudonym would sell more than a male one, I don't have the faintest idea, but I doubt it."

The Twitter community is divided over the situation.


Some users agree the men chose a female name to gain clout...




...while others think the men did nothing wrong.





Martínez, Díaz and Mercero, writing under the name "Mola", are most well-known for a popular violent crime series that follows police inspector Elena Blanco.

The series has sold over 400,000 copies.

For the Planeta award, "Mola" won the literary prize for their yet to be published book The Beast, which tells of a serial killer in 17th century Madrid.

Planeta has said they have plans to publish and distribute the novel.

More from Trending

Screenshot of Mark Carney; Donald Trump
@sarobertson_/X; Aaron Schwartz/AFP via Getty Images

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney Trolls Trump With Perfect 'Conspiracy' Joke After Technical Glitch During Speech

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney had people laughing after he made a clever "conspiracy" joke aimed at President Donald Trump after his teleprompter cut out mid-speech on Wednesday.

Carney was addressing the press and supporters as part of his government's pledge to build more rental homes. A press release announced that "over the next three years, Canada’s new government, in partnership with the City of Toronto, will invest over $2.7 billion to build more than 18 housing projects across Toronto."

Keep ReadingShow less
Nurse Hadley Vlahos
@nursehadley/TikTok

TikToker Speaks Out About Just How Difficult It Is To Get A Divorce In Mississippi—And Wow

While we're well into the 21st century, it's becoming increasingly difficult in the United States for women to execute what should be basic social rights, like getting a divorce. But states like Mississippi and most of the "Bible Belt" are making it practically impossible for people like Nurse Hadley Vlahos to fully separate from a former partner.

Though Vlahos is known on TikTok and YouTube for being a hospice nurse and wrote about end-of-life care in her New York Times bestselling book, The In-Between with How to Let Go to follow, she's now dedicating much more of her platform to documenting her three-year process of just filing for divorce, not including all that happened in the years before and in the year and a half since.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
C-SPAN

Trump's Bonkers Quip About What He'd Do If He Coached In The WNBA Just Resurfaced—And It's A Doozy

President Donald Trump is raising eyebrows again after a resurfaced clip showed him trying to bring NBA star LeBron James into the debate around transgender athletes while mocking the WNBA.

The WNBA has been at the center of controversy after Indiana Fever player Sophie Cunningham said she wants "to protect young girls in a locker room, or young girls in sport who shouldn’t have to go against biological men.” She called her beliefs "common sense," stressing that "it’s really important to protect children, and that’s little girls who are also involved in that category."

Keep ReadingShow less
Billie Eilish
Savion Washington/FilmMagic/Getty Images

Photos Of Billie Eilish From Her Upcoming Movie Just Dropped—And Fans Barely Recognize Her

The latest film adaptation of Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar is led by Women Talking and Splice director Sarah Polley.

As of March, Billie Eilish was cast in the leading role, Esther Greenwood, who goes through a form of mental burnout and psychosis over the course of the book, with a plot that becomes increasingly unhinged and unreliable.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Hit With Reality Check After Giving Himself An 'A+' On The Economy In Delusional Interview

President Donald Trump was criticized after he claimed in an interview with Fox News that he should be given an "A+" for the current economy after claiming the "costs are all coming down now."

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less