Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

A Judge Ordered the Trump Administration to Restore the DACA Program for DREAMers, and Jeff Sessions Just Responded

A Judge Ordered the Trump Administration to Restore the DACA Program for DREAMers, and Jeff Sessions Just Responded
WASHINGTON, DC - JULY 13: U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions listens during a news conference to announce significant law enforcement actions July 13, 2017 at the Justice Department in Washington, DC. Attorney General Jeff Sessions held the news conference to announce the 2017 health care fraud takedown. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)

He does not appear cowed in the slightest.

President Donald Trump's efforts to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was dealt a blow on Friday when a federal judge ordered the administration to fully restore the program designed to prevent the deportation of children of undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States by their parents.


In April, U.S. District Judge John Bates gave the Department of Homeland Security 90 days "to better explain its view that DACA is unlawful." Bates said Friday the government's reasoning for ending DACA was "inadequately explained," adding that the Trump administration "cannot rely on the reasons it previously gave for DACA’s rescission, because the Court has already rejected them."

Bates concluded in his ruling:

For the foregoing reasons, the Court again concludes that DHS’s September 2017 decision

to rescind the DACA program, as now explained in the Duke and Nielsen Memos, was both subject

to judicial review and arbitrary and capricious.

Bates continued:

The Court has already once given DHS the opportunity to remedy these deficiencies—either by providing a coherent explanation of its legal opinion or by reissuing its decision for bona fide policy reasons that would preclude judicial review—so it will not do so again.

"A conclusory assertion that a prior policy is illegal, accompanied by a hodgepodge of illogical or post hoc policy assertions, simply will not do," Bates wrote. "The Court, therefore, reaffirms its conclusion that DACA’s rescission was unlawful and must be set aside."

Bates' ruling is the third derailing the Trump administration's crusade against DACA since the president decided to end the program in September 2017. DHS has 20 days to appeal the ruling before DACA must be fully restored, Bates ruled.

On Monday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions issued a statement trashing the court's decision.

"We strongly disagree with the district court’s decision on Friday in the DACA case," Sessions said.

The executive branch's authority to simply rescind a policy, established only by a letter from the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, is clearly established. The Department of Justice will take every lawful measure to vindicate the Department of Homeland Security's lawful recission of DACA.

"We have recently witnessed a number of decisions in which courts have improperly used judicial power to steer, enjoin, modify, and direct executive policy," Sessions added.

Supporters of DACA responded to Sessions on Twitter, offering their "thoughts and prayers" to the administration.

"Womp womp." Pretty much.

"Thoughts and prayers."

The racist undertones of the Trump administration's attitude toward the children of undocumented immigrants did not go unnoticed.

The people have spoken.

More from People/donald-trump

ICE agents at Atlanta airport
Megan Varner/Getty Images

The White House Just Tried To Rebrand ICE Agents As 'NICE Agents' With Hilariously Propagandistic Graphic

The White House was criticized for sharing an image to rebrand ICE agents as "NICE" agents, including a poster of an agent kneeling next to a child that has been condemned as blatant propaganda.

The decision came after President Donald Trump shared a post from a supporter urging him to change the name of Immigration and Customs Enforcement to National Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which would change the acronym from ICE to NICE. Trump said in a post on Truth Social it would be a "GREAT IDEA!!!"

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Jimmy Failla
Fox News

Fox News Reporters Caught On Hot Mic Joking About How Lax Security Was Before Correspondents' Dinner

Fox News reporters were criticized after they were caught on a hot mic joking about the unusually lax security at the White House Correspondents Association dinner before a shooting disrupted the event.

Their commentary followed a security scare at the Washington Hilton, where President Donald Trump and senior officials were quickly moved to safety after shots rang out outside the ballroom. Investigators believe the suspect fired one or two rounds. The Secret Service returned fire but missed, and the suspect was later apprehended near a staircase leading into the ballroom.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of King Charles shaking hands with Donald Trump
@AdamJSchwarz/X

Trump Just Totally Met His Match When He Tried His Macho Handshake On King Charles In Viral Clip

President Donald Trump was widely criticized for attempting his awkward tug-of-war-style handshake while greeting King Charles III at the White House on Monday, only for Charles to shut him down.

Charles addressed a joint meeting of Congress on Tuesday, becoming only the second British monarch to do so after his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, who spoke in 1991. His speech came as Trump has repeatedly criticized British Prime Minister Keir Starmer over Britain’s refusal to back the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Pastor Calls Out Christians Who Claim 'God Protected' Trump At Correspondents' Dinner In Spot-On Tweet

Reverend Benjamin Cremer, a pastor and writer who often comments on the intersection of politics and Christianity, called out MAGA supporters' reaction to the shooting on Saturday at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner and lamented the idolization of President Donald Trump.

Cremer's words followed a security scare at the Washington Hilton, where Trump and senior officials were quickly moved to safety after shots rang out outside the ballroom. Investigators believe the suspect fired one or two rounds. The Secret Service returned fire but missed, and the suspect was later apprehended near a staircase leading into the ballroom.

Keep ReadingShow less
Mara Wilson
Amy Sussman/Getty Images

Former Child Actor Mara Wilson Reveals Heartbreakingly Disturbing Reason That Led To Her Not Wanting To Act Anymore

You probably know her as Matilda or possibly as the youngest daughter, Natalie Hillard, in Mrs. Doubtfire, or maybe the inquisitive and too-smart-for-her-age Susan Walker in Miracle on 34th Street.

But for former child actor Mara Wilson, that's where most people's knowledge of her stops, and the reasons behind that are heartbreaking.

Keep ReadingShow less