Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Republicans Have Hired an Outside Prosecutor to Question Christine Blasey Ford on Thursday, and Ford's Lawyer Is Not Having It

Republicans Have Hired an Outside Prosecutor to Question Christine Blasey Ford on Thursday, and Ford's Lawyer Is Not Having It
WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 13: Committee Chairman U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) (2nd L) speaks as ranking member Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) (R) and Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) (L) listen during a markup hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee September 13, 2018 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. A request during the hearing by the Democrats to subpoena documents on Supreme Court nominee Brett KavanaughÕs job as staff secretary in the George W. Bush administration was rejected by the Republicans. Chairman Grassley announced that the committee will hold its final vote on the nomination on September 20, 2018. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)`

He makes some good points.

Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee have hired an outside prosecutor to question Dr. Christine Blasey Ford about her sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh. Ford is scheduled to testify before the committee on Thursday.

In a letter to Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA), chairman of the committee overseeing Supreme Court nominations, Ford's attorney Michael Bromwich argued that the presence of an "experienced sex crimes prosecutor" is not necessary because the Senate hearing isn't a criminal trial.


"This is not a criminal trial for which the involvement of an experienced sex crimes prosecutor would be appropriate," the letter said. "Neither Dr. Blasey Ford nor Judge Kavanaugh is on trial. The goal should be to develop the relevant facts, not try a case."

Ford has made "repeated requests through counsel that senators conduct the questioning," which Bromwich claimed are being dismissed with the appointment of a third party lawyer whose identity has not been disclosed.

"The central point is that there is no precedent for this Committee to bring in outside counsel for the sole purpose of shielding the members of the Committee from performing their responsibility to question witnesses," Bromwich said.

Bromwich requested a copy of the prosecutor's resume and a meeting with the individual ahead of Ford's appearance before the committee.

People were impressed with the smackdown.

And disgusted with how Republicans are handling the matter.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) on Monday brushed off Ford's accusations as nothing more than a "smear campaign."

"Even by the far left's standards, this shameful, shameful smear campaign has hit a new low," McConnell said on the Senate floor. "I want to be perfectly clear about what has taken place. Senate Democrats and their allies are trying to destroy a man's personal and professional life on the basis of decades-old allegations."

Bromwich said McConnell's comments negate the committee's promise to provide "fair and respectful treatment" of Ford.

"You said in your letter that you intend to provide a 'fair and credible process' that provides Dr. Blasey Ford 'fair and respectful treatment,'" Bromwich wrote in his letter. "Yet earlier today the Majority Leader dismissed Dr. Ford's experience as a 'smear campaign,' claiming mistakenly that the witnesses' statements to the Committee constitute 'a complete lack of evidence,' implying that there has been a thorough investigation. This and statements he has made previously are flatly inconsistent with your letter."

Ford has alleged that during a high school house party in the 1980's, a "stumbling drunk" Kavanaugh pinned her down on a bed and tried to remove her bathing suit. Ford's account also states that Kavanaugh placed his hand over Ford's mouth when she tried to call for help.

Last weekend, a second accuser named Deborah Ramirez said during a party at Yale, Kavanaugh got drunk and exposed himself to her.

Kavanaugh has denied any wrongdoing.

Despite the multiple allegations, Republicans remain intent on holding a confirmation vote on Kavanaugh as quickly as they can.

"I would defer to the chairman but I don't think we would do it on Thursday," John Cornyn of Texas said on Monday. "Friday would be possible, but I'm gonna let him make those announcements."

McConnell has said the Senate will "plow right through" the Kavanaugh accusations and work tirelessly to get him confirmed to the Supreme Court.

More from News

Dolly Parton
Jason Kempin/Getty Images

Dolly Parton Shares Bittersweet Update After Having To Cancel Vegas Residency Due To Health Issues

Last year, Dolly Parton's Las Vegas residency had to be put on hold while she dealt with several private health issues.

Her sister, Freida, accidentally caused a stir when asking online for prayers for Dolly while she got her health sorted out. The singer came online and said that she was fine, responsibly addressing her health concerns, and would follow through with her residency soon, setting everyone's minds at ease.

Keep ReadingShow less
Elon Musk Just Revealed His New Net Worth Goal After Hitting $800 Billion—And The Greed Is Off The Charts
Elon Musk Ripped After Setting Net Worth Goal To $10 Trillion

Elon Musk Just Revealed His New Net Worth Goal After Hitting $800 Billion—And The Greed Is Off The Charts

If you're wondering if there's an amount of money that would ever be "enough" for gazillionaire sociopath Elon Musk, the answer is apparently no.

He's already the world's richest man, with his net worth surpassing $800 billion in February after his company SpaceX acquired xAI earlier this year

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Meidas Touch Network

Trump Just Tried To Impress Some Kids With His Putting Skills At A White House Physical Fitness Event—And It Went Hilariously Awry

MAGA Republican President Donald Trump signed a memo at the White House on Tuesday, reinstating the Presidential Fitness Test Award.

Seated at the C&O Desk—Trump removed the Resolute Desk in February of 2025 for some "light refinishing"—in the Oval Office, the POTUS was flanked by schoolchildren, professional athletes, and members of his cabinet during the event to mark National Youth Sports and Fitness Month.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chuck Schumer; Donald Trump
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images; Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Chuck Schumer Claps Back Hard After White House Shades Him With Racist Cinco De Mayo Meme

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer responded after the White House marked Cinco de Mayo on Tuesday by sharing a racist AI-generated meme of him and House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries celebrating the holiday.

In the image, the two men are depicted seated at a table near the border, wearing sombreros and raising margaritas in a toast, with a sign placed in front of them that reads: “I LOVE ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Kid Cudi (left) removed M.I.A. (right) from his Rebel Ragers Tour following backlash over her onstage remarks.
Joseph Okpako/WireImage via Getty Images; Gilbert Carrasquillo/Getty Images

Rapper Kid Cudi Fires M.I.A. From His Tour After Her Rant About 'Illegals' Draws Instant Backlash

If M.I.A. was hoping for attention, she got it—just not the kind that comes with a tour slot. Following backlash over her rant about “illegals,” Kid Cudi made it clear he’s not co-signing the controversy, dropping her from his Rebel Ragers Tour with zero hesitation.

It all went down on May 2 at Dos Equis Pavilion in Dallas, where fans captured the British rapper in a monologue that quickly went viral online.

Keep ReadingShow less