Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Federal Workers Suing the Federal Government Over the Shutdown Just Accused the Trump Administration of Violating the 13th Amendment

Federal Workers Suing the Federal Government Over the Shutdown Just Accused the Trump Administration of Violating the 13th Amendment
WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 17: (AFP OUT) U.S. President Donald Trump (C) talks to reporters during a cabinet meeting with (L-R) Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao and others in the Cabinet Room at the White House October 17, 2018 in Washington, DC. Earlier this week Trump dispatched Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Saudi Arabia and Turkey to meet with those countries' leaders about the disappearance of Saudi dissident and Washington Post opinion columnist Jamal Khashoggi. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Well now.

The Trump shutdown is officially the longest government shutdown in history. Though the federal employees who continue to work without pay are due to be compensated with back pay once the government reopens, some—like the National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA)—say that back pay will be too little, too late.

As a result, NATCA has filed a suit against the federal government for the unlawful deprivation of wages from the 22,790 air traffic controllers the union represents.


The suit insists that back pay will not be enough to cover the losses incurred by the controllers, who have struggled to pay medical bills and at least one controller had to miss her grandmother's funeral due to going weeks without pay.

NATCA isn't the only group suing the government. One lawsuit is even invoking the 13th amendment, which abolished slavery and involuntary servitude in 1865. The plaintiffs of that suit include workers from the Department of Agriculture, of Justice, and of Transportation as well as one air traffic controller.

Because refusal to show up for work during the shutdown despite the lack of pay could result in the loss of their positions altogether, the suit alleges that the federal government is guilty of a form of 'coercion' -- or forced work -- that was prohibited by the 13th Amendment.

The attorney representing the plaintiffs, Michael Kator, told The Washington Post:

“Our plaintiffs find themselves in the exact same boat as virtually every other furloughed federal employee: bills to pay and no income to pay them. As this drags on, their situation will become more and more dire...If this is not resolved soon, affected employees may find that beginning February 1 they will no longer have health insurance, and, if this lasts ‘months or even years’ as the President has suggested, there will be defaults, foreclosures and even bankruptcies. A promise to pay back pay will not forestall those consequences.”

Twitter is standing with the workers.

They're also pointing out how the multiple lawsuits appear to contradict an earlier claim from President Donald Trump.

In an effort to justify his refusal to reopen the government by signing a budget that doesn't allocate over $5 billion for a wall at the southern border, Trump insisted that federal workers were on his side, despite not being paid.

The President said:

“A lot of people that you think are upset — and certainly they’re not thrilled — but they say, ’Sir, do the right thing. We need border security,’ and these are people that won’t be getting paid.”

J. David Cox Sr., President of the American Federation of Government Employees says this simply isn't true:

“There should be no confusion about whether federal employees want the government to reopen. They are eager to get back to work. They unequivocally oppose using shutdowns as a means of resolving policy disputes. This is not about a wall, this is about 800,000 real people with real families and real bills to pay."

Many believe the numerous lawsuits are an indication that federal workers are wholeheartedly against the idea that contention over an ineffective border wall is worth withholding their pay.

It's unclear if the lawsuits will add enough pressure for Trump to finally forego his wall.

More from News

Donald Trump holding photos of White House ballroom
Salwan Georges/The Washington Post via Getty Images

CNN Just Used A Hilarious Poll To Show Just How Unpopular Trump's Ballroom Is—And We're Cackling

After President Donald Trump claimed that his new White House ballroom is "very popular" with the American public, CNN shared a hilariously shady poll that gets to the truth of the matter.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @devynnehaddoxx's TikTok video
@devynnehaddoxx/TikTok

Woman In Labor Times How Long Her Husband Takes To Poop To See If She Can Push Their Baby Out Faster In Hilarious Viral Video

It's well-known across the internet that it takes forever for men to use the restroom. For dads especially, in the time it takes them to poop, when they return to the house, their kids will have aged seven years, and their baby will have learned to walk.

These are jokes, of course, but it's an internet consensus that men spend a really long time on the porcelain throne.

Keep ReadingShow less
David Letterman (left) has continued defending Stephen Colbert (right) as CBS faces backlash over canceling The Late Show.
Kevin Winter/Getty Images; Gilbert Carrasquillo/GC Images

David Letterman Rips 'Lying Weasels' At CBS For Claiming Colbert Was Canceled For Financial Reasons In Epic Takedown

David Letterman isn’t staying quiet about CBS canceling The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. As Colbert’s run comes to an end later this month, the former late-night host is publicly challenging the network’s claim that the decision was purely financial.

Letterman, who hosted The Late Show from 1993 until stepping down in 2015, addressed the controversy during a new interview with New York Times journalist Jason Zinoman.

Keep ReadingShow less
Antonia Eastwood; Gemma Monk
Antonia Eastwood/MSN; Cover Images

Woman Speaks Out After Prison Sentence To Reveal What Led Her To Hurl Black Paint At Sister-In-Law On Her Wedding Day

In early 2024, 49-year-old Antonia Eastwood married Ashley Monk after about five months of dating. During the ceremony, Antonia tripped while walking down the aisle.

Antonia and Ashley were both suspicious that she did not trip accidentally and that Ashley's sister, Gemma, actually tripped her. Gemma and Antonia were not close, and the couple also believed that Gemma might be jealous that they were marrying after five months, though she'd been with her childhood sweetheart for 20 years without tying the knot.

Keep ReadingShow less
Billie Eilish on 'Good Hang'
Good Hang with Amy Poehler/YouTube

Billie Eilish's Refreshingly Blunt Take On Aging And 'Botched' Plastic Surgery Has Fans Nodding Hard

You know what they say: the grass is greener on the other side. Most people want something that they don't have.

While many people right now are fixated on appearing younger than their age, Billie Eilish—who already looks younger than her age—is looking forward to what comes next.

Keep ReadingShow less