Faiz Naquiddin Abd Lataf/EyeEm/Getty Images
A Massachusetts teen experienced horrifying consequences after eating improperly stored leftovers.
As reported by Yahoo News, the unidentified 19-year-old college student was rushed to the hospital with multiple organ failure after consuming leftover rice, chicken and lo mein from a restaurant.
The student began suffering from abdominal pain and his skin turned purple after eating the food.
At the hospital, his condition continued to decline as he experienced vomiting, high blood pressure and abnormal breathing.
Tests confirmed he had caught meningococcal purpura fulminan disease—or Purpura fulminan—a rare complication that comes from septic shock.
The bacteria caused illness was to blame for his stiff neck, nausea, trouble breathing, shock and organ failure.
The teenager eventually began to experience necrosis, or the death of skin tissue. Doctors had to amputate his legs and fingers to save his life.
He was also given a pacemaker to treat cardiac issues.
The student’s roommate also ate the leftover food, but only experienced vomiting.
Both students had the meningococcal vaccine. However, the roommate got the booster shot as well, while the student that was rushed to the hospital didn’t.
According to the CDC, rice and pasta contain a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. When reheating improperly stored leftover rice or pasta, a potentially fatal toxin is produced.
People are understandably shook by this previously unknown danger of leftovers.
Thank you for this. I hadn\u2019t developed any new phobias today.— TheRealJeremyDeJournett (@TheRealJeremyDeJournett) 1645568077
the absolute fk?!!! im in danger— Shinyfluff but spooky \ud83c\udf3f (@Shinyfluff but spooky \ud83c\udf3f) 1645563940
OMG\nI left my frozen rice bowls in my grocery bags overnight by accident. I did eat 1 but now, I'm going to throw the others outhttps://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/a-teen-ate-leftover-rice-and-noodles-hours-later-doctors-amputated-his-legs-and-fingers/ar-AAUamgB\u00a0\u2026— Jennifer Linn (@Jennifer Linn) 1645568883
Saw this today and it legit freaked me out because my normal method is eat stuff and hopefully I don\u2019t get sick (never have that I know of) -https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/02/22/leftover-food-disease-amputated-legs-fingers/6890754001/\u00a0\u2026— Blueteamer (@Blueteamer) 1645577024
That\u2019s so scary. I meal prep and usually spend the week eating what I cooked on Sunday.— audrey \u2077 (@audrey \u2077) 1645566272
It also highlights the importance of staying up to date on your vaccines.
Friend also ate the food and only threw up. This is why you stay up to date on your vaccines!— Kaisar Dragon (@Kaisar Dragon) 1645565790
Also, make sure to get your meningitis vaccine (and finish the series!). I think most colleges require it now, but meningococcemia is no joke.— Jennifer Kretchmer (@Jennifer Kretchmer) 1645563795
Leftover food triggered disease that left teen without legs, fingers\n\nRead to the end and rejoice in the splendor of vaccines!!!!https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2022/02/22/leftover-food-disease-amputated-legs-fingers/6890754001/\u00a0\u2026— jess (@jess) 1645571243
Even more felt vindicated for their dislike of leftovers.
I know! This story will be wheeled out every time my family accuse me of being paranoid about eating rice or takeaway the next day. Better to fill up and eat it all in one go (and accept the customary bloating and stomach ache).— Mark Oliver (@Mark Oliver) 1645567979
@SperBear3 I feel so vindicated in my intense dislike of all leftovers. Ya girl just wants to keep all her extremities and avoid eating pot roast for the third time in a week.— Missy Sperry (@Missy Sperry) 1645572486
Feeling vindicated for my natural disinclination towards leftovers.— love&peace, heidi (@love&peace, heidi) 1645563908
We wish the young man a speedy recovery.