Most Read


Professionals Share The Final Straw That Made Them Rage Quit

Have you ever quit a job in a fit of rage? If so, what was it that finally pushed you over the edge?

Kataytay_14 asked, Redditors who rage quit a job without thinking, what was the last straw?

Submissions have been edited for clarity, context, and profanity.

When next week never arrives.


I worked as a painter for a franchisee of a student painting company and he kept telling me that "he would pay me next week." This went on for about 6 weeks and the final straw was when I had finished several large projects that would give him ample money to pay me but he decided to hire on another person instead of paying me for all the work I had already done. (like $1300 worth of work)

Then he tried negotiating down what he thought he should be paying me despite already having agreed in writing what I would be getting paid right from the get go.

I was so mad that I didn't give him notice or even show up for the next day of work because I had bills to pay and needed to make as much money as possible during the summer.

I wrote him off as a lost cause and took him to small claims court for what he owed me and eventually got my money through the court.

Still was a pain though and as far as I know he's still working there full time...


Guess what? They got their PTO anyway.

After working 37 years, I requested a leave from work to care for my partner who was dying of cancer. I had 8 weeks of PTO time and was denied the request, so I quit to care for him in his last month of life.


This has happened to me. Never again.


I was working at a call center. My shift started at 10, I badged into the building at about 9:55 and logged on, but the decrepit PC I was using took so long to boot up that when I finally logged in, I was 15 seconds late. I told my supervisor and he said there's nothing he can do, since I was late I was put on probation and wouldn't be eligible for a raise for another month, and that I should arrive 15 minutes early so that situation won't happen again. I handed him my headset, walked out and have never worked in a call center since.


This is a good rage quit.

I need a summer job while in high school so I applied at a local grocery store to bag/stock/clean. My first day there, there was some sort of confusion as to what I was supposed to to or to whom I was to report.

I was sent to the front counter where the customer service manager gave me a till and told me to open a register. Mind you I'd had ZERO training on a register (I didn't even know how to put the till in it for f*ck sake). I told the lady this and was told to go do my job.

Within about two minutes at the register there was a line several deep, and I'm just standing there with the till in my hands.

The customer service lady comes storming over asking why I had such a line and I tried AGAIN to explain to her that I was supposed to be a stocker or whatever and that I knew nothing about operating a register.

She called me stupid in front of the customers so I handed her the till and told her to go f*ck herself.

Walked down the street in my uniform and got a job at another grocery store.


That is one heck of a lie.

Went through several interviews and started a new gig. I'd be providing call center support for Windows maybe some Apple support. Nothing I couldn't handle. I am, after all, IT support. Hell. I even cleaned the mouse while trying to take the technical test.

I get a start date and am told it'd be 2 weeks of training. No big deal. I can do two weeks of training. I show up on day one of training, and... it's support for Whirlpool washing machines and driers.

...hold the f*cking phone. What?!

That's right. CLASSIC bait and switch. I got up, walked over to my hiring manager and said, "I quit. You hired me for windows support. NOT washing machines and dryers." And walked out.

Two weeks later I get a call, "Hey, this xyz, your manager. I'm calling to find out why you haven't come to work in 2 weeks."

"I guess you didn't get that memo. I quit on day one. Because your company lied to me."

Got an $80 paycheck.

About 7 years later I got a letter in the mail that a class action lawsuit had been filed against the company for labor law violations.

Two months after that, I got an 8 cent check in the mail. I giggled.


This is NYC AF.


I actually did this like 2 months ago for the first time! I'm a bartender and I was working in some sh*tty Mexican restaurant downtown. The tips were sh*t because the food was sh*t so we were barely ever busy. So already I'm living in NYC making barely 400 a week when I'm used to making more than double. At this point I've been there 2 months and I hate it more and more every day.

Around this time my mother gets really bad pneumonia and due to complications it degraded her heart, so she has to have open heart surgery to repair a valve, it's a risky procedure and my mother is touching 65.

Now, let me state that staff turnover was incredibly high because in addition to us making horrible money the manager was a complete and utter moron, most staff left after a month.

So when my mom gives me a date for her surgery I go to my manager and give her a basic breakdown of the situation and tell her I need 4 days off from X to Y so I can be with my family. She says no problem, but just to play it safe I send emails and texts to her confirming that I indeed do have these days off. She agrees. I think cool no problem.

Well I was dead f*cking wrong.

3 days before the surgery the schedule for the week comes out and I'm scheduled through the entire week. I immediately go to my manager and ask what the f*ck is up because I'm not wasting away behind this moldy, rat infested bar in the West Village while my mom has surgery. No bullsh*t this woman has the nerve to say I didn't request off at all! When I show her my paper trail stating that yes, I goddamn did put in a request she says "what difference does it make if you're there the surgery is going to have an outcome whether you're there or not." And starts to rattle off how I need to be a team player and I'm f*cking up her sh*t by requesting off and yadda ya.

Her voice fades off and I literally see red. I say nothing and go back to work. This is at 5 P.M. Happy hour and our rush starts at 8. I'm the only bartender on today. Fast forward to 8:30. My bar is slammed, I have a bunch of drink tickets from the servers and it's a mess. Total sh*tshow. My manager comes behind the bar and instead of offering any assistance she tells me to not bring "home drama to work" I stare at her in disbelief for a moment, truly stunned that such a tone deaf moron could possibly be in charge of anything. I laughed in her stupid face and walked right out the door and went to go see my mom.

TL:DR: manager says making margaritas is more important than my dying mom.

Ps. Mom made a full recovery


Beer pong championships or job? Beer pong, obviously.

I was 21 working at UPS. Was a truck loader the first year. Became the fastest loader in the warehouse just because I like working quickly. Only wanted to become a supervisor because my manager was really easy to work with and always wanted to help with solutions to problems. Once they promoted me to Supervisor they transferred my manager to a different warehouse and didn't say why. Worked as a supervisor for a year and once peak season arrived (Mid November-Early January) things were getting crazy and my manager was just a yes man to his boss. Never helped solve issues, just said "figure it out" or "just get it done".

Well in November my best friend and I had won a World Series of Beer Pong satellite tourney to get a free entry and stay at the Flamingo in Vegas for the Tournament worth $600. Tournament was from Jan 1st-5th. Well during peak season it's nearly impossible to get time off and I looked at this tournament as a once in a lifetime opportunity with my best friend. Things were just getting so crazy and they weren't approving any vacation requests. I wasn't getting assistance from my boss with the workload so I just said f*ck it I'm out.

Come to find out my manager, his boss and four other managers got fired for changing time cards to make their productions numbers look better. Which I found out is why they shipped my cool manager away cause he wouldn't participate in the dirty deeds. My best friend and I placed 46th out of 500 teams. It was one of the best memories I have to this day. No regrets.


Pretty sure this is not how it's supposed to work.

I use to work as a housekeeper at a really shady hotel. Wasn't the best job in the world, but the pay actually wasn't that bad. The owner and his wife were horrible to everyone, especially the housekeepers. I eventually worked my way to being the head housekeeper, but they kept referring to me as a maid. I don't know why that bothered me so much, but it did.

Anyway, the rodeo was in town and we were really busy. I had every single room to clean, and none of my other housekeepers were showing up for work. So I asked my boss where they were and he said he gave them the day off. They're young and have stuff to do. They were all high schoolers and I was 19 at the time. It was summer, so he decided he wanted them to go out and have fun and leave the 65 rooms to me. I was already mad at that, but then it got worse.

I get to about my 15th room, I'm exhausted, and I just want to get one more done so I can take a break. I knock on the door, no answer. So I let myself in only to see a man standing naked in the doorway. I apologize and try to leave when he calls me back. He said he wanted me to clean the room. I told him I couldn't while he was still there and certainly not while he was naked. He said I had to do it, he was a guest. I go to my boss and explain why I wasn't cleaning that room. He told me I had to do what the customer said. If he wanted to be naked and in the room while I cleaned, then that's what had to happen. I threw my cleaning rag at him, told him to f*ck off and left the rest of the rooms to him.




I worked as a stock boy in the back of Hollister (clothing retail for those unaware). Never really had interaction with customers but was still forced to buy their clothes to wear to work. They had all these rules about hairstyles, finger nails, and facial hair. One night I came in to start a shift at 2:30 am to do a floor change, so middle of the night and the shift would end around the time the store opened up. I had the slightest bit of stubble on my face, like a day and a half's worth of stubble. My manager, at 4 am, told me she had a problem with my facial hair and that when the mall opened up I better go buy a razor and shave before anyone saw me like that is she would have to send me home for the night. I basically said "well lucky for me, I was planning on quitting anyways, good luck with the floor change" and walked out. Went and got a biscuit breakfast, went home, and got in bed.


Worst. Excuse. Ever.

Boss not doing payroll before leaving on a business trip and leaving it to the poor office manager to tell people they weren't gonna get paid on time.

I walked out of the staff meeting saying I'd be back when paychecks arrived. By the time I got home I was mad enough to call my ops manager back and quit.

Why didn't the boss do payroll? Stated answer was printer toner cartridge at home was empty. Guess he'd never heard of writing checks with a pen.